Greenhouse1
Greenhouse1
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

5 Simple Ways to Be Greener in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

We’ve all learned the importance of reducing, reusing and recycling, and why we should do our part in taking care of the environment. But honestly, living sustainably can be a difficult, time-consuming journey. From conserving water to reducing meat consumption, living a sustainable life could mean switching up your lifestyle — which makes many people shy away from it completely. It is especially tough trying to mix a more sustainable lifestyle into a schedule packed with classes, internships, clubs and part-time jobs.

Luckily, there are many little things that can be done to show love to the environment that take minimal effort. Sustainability is all about being conscious of the small things we do and how they impact the environment. Even if you don’t have the time to go vegan or adopt a zero-waste lifestyle, you can still help in preserving our home. Here are 5 simple ways to be greener as a college student. 

Take Notes Electronically

Take advantage of professors that give you PDF versions of documents. Or, try taking notes on your iPad or computer. There are many apps you can download like Evernote and OneNote that make taking notes on your electronics simple and convenient. Not only will you stop wasting paper from notebooks and flashcards, it’ll be one less thing you’ll have to get while buying school supplies.  

Buy a Resuable Shopping Bag

Reusable shopping bags are generally cheap and are an easy way to reduce the amount of paper or plastic you use. Before you go grocery-shopping, just grab a few and you’re good to go. I also find reusable shopping bags more comfortable to carry, and there are many different colors, prints and patterns available that can fit anyone’s style.

Buy a Resuable Water Bottle

If you don’t already have a reusable water bottle, buy one! Not only are they environmentally-friendly, they will save you the time and money it takes to purchase plastic water bottles. Reusable water bottles are also more convenient than plastic bottles because they can keep your water colder for longer, and you can purchase different brands, styles and sizes according to your taste and needs. 

Thrift Your Clothing

Thrifting is a fun way to reduce the amount of clothing that goes into landfills. I have also found some of my favorite items of clothing from thrift shops. To top it off, thrifted clothing items are super cheap and many thrift stores directly support charity organizations — it’s truly an all-around win.

Turn off Your Electronics 

Products like phone and computer chargers and electronics like televisions and coffee makers use power even when they are not in use. To decrease this wasted energy, unplug your items before you leave your room. You can make the process easier by purchasing a power strip and simply turning it off before leaving.

When it comes to living a more environmentally-friendly lifestyle, start by simply doing what you can.

Ri'An is a third-year student at Michigan State University majoring in Journalism with minors in Public Relations and Creative Writing. She loves writing and ties it to her passions in fashion, beauty, and wellness. Outside of writing for HerCampus, you can find Ri'An in a coffee shop reading her current favorite novel or Elle magzine.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.