5 Reasons why Donald Trump (And Everyone Else) Should Watch Designated Survivor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Designated Survivor premiered in 2016. However, looking back, it was way before it’s time. The show begins with the main character, Tom Kirkman, as the HUD (head of urban development) being named designated survivor for the State of the Union. A catastrophic event leads him to leave his very low position to become president of the United States. The show highlights many events and situations that can be learned from. Here’s how:

Defying Government Norms

From the first episode, the shocking tragedy leaving Tom Kirkman as president shook the nation. Even more shockingly, at the time he was sworn into office, he was not affiliated with a political party. In today’s day and age, politics are so polarized many have strayed away from the core beliefs of government. Designated Survivor puts a large emphasis on Tom not being affiliated with a political party and how it allowed him to do so much more in office as senators were more inclined to vote on the issue at hand not just by party lines. This is a refreshing change for anyone living in today’s polarized society.

Shedding Light on Overlooked Parts of Government

The show has a separate storyline running throughout focusing on the FBI and CIA. Agent Hannah Wells demonstrates the dangers of being an agent but also patriotism in doing anything her country asks of her and going above and beyond. This sheds light on the fact that there truly are very dangerous situations that the FBI deals with on an everyday basis. Another area includes the press secretary, Seth, who is heavily emphasised throughout the show. It highlights how tough the job of press secretary can truly be. At one point in the show, Seth even loses his temper in front of the press pool and almost loses his job. We never really pause to consider how rough it must be to be up there in front of dozens of people who are trying to pry information that you can’t release without sounding like you’re hiding something. The White House is definitely more than just the president and Designated Survivor does an amazing job of highlighting everyone’s roles and the parts that they all play.

Emphasis on listening to Scientists

Toward the end of the series, the FBI begins investigating a bioterror threat. This is an eye opening idea, considering in this day and age the technology is out there for this to pose a real threat. A biochemist comes to the government’s rescue and provides information to help the government solve the case that would not have been possible without him. This demonstrates how important and beneficial it is to listen to science.  The show also briefly highlights a pandemic and the ways that it’s handled. It’s interesting to watch given the current situation of the nation.

The True Meaning of Government

Throughout the series, Tom Kirkman maintains a promise to be true to the American people. This costs him at times politically, but he never strays from the truth. Designated Survivor shows the background of what happens in government, which although not accurate to current events, provides an interesting insight into what our government goes through on a day to day basis. Tom maintains his compassion and honesty throughout the show but goes through waves of straying from it. It demonstrates how easy it is to fib and not tell the truth to the public.

Females Holding High Government Positions

Emily Rhodes started as Tom Kirkman’s secretary when he was the HUD. When Tom went into the White House, Emily went with him and she became his chief of staff. Not only did Tom allow her to hold the position, there were several situations when she directly opposed the president and he listened to what she had to say. Isabel Pardo, on the other hand, did not get in as easily as Emily did. She struggled through being ignored and overlooked despite her hard work. By the end though, she becomes a major part in the show and shoulders many responsibilities.

Designated Survivor shines light onto what genuine government should be. The character of the president and how it affects his administration is transparent. The show provides a refreshing look into government and everyone could learn a thing or two from watching it. It is not lacking the drama and entertainment that any series includes, so definitely check it out.

I am a freshman at Michigan State. I am studying physiology on a Pre-medical track. I love writing about current events and advice. I hope that my articles are helpful and informative.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.