5 Movies to Watch on Your Stay-cation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Spring Break is right around the corner and that means everyone is simply bursting at the seams to escape the cold Michigan tundra and trade it for warm weather, rest, and relaxation. While some of us are lucky enough to physically escape to a warmer climate for Spring Break, others opt for a classic stay-cation. If that’s the case for you, then here are five movies that will fulfill your wanderlust in no time!

1. Guava Island (2019)

For fans of Childish Gambino, Guava Island will rock your socks off. Set on an island in the middle of the Caribbean, Deni Maroon (Donald Glover) is a local artist organizing a music festival that lasts all night to allow the hard-working population of Guava Island a well-deserved day off. Full of music from Childish Gambino and a rockstar cast including Rihanna and Letitia Wright, Guava Island is sure to transport you to a world of music, drama, and romance. (Available on Amazon Prime)

2. Y Tu Mamá También (2001)

Subtitled movies may seem daunting for some, but for those who don’t mind, Y Tu Mama Tambien is a coming of age story about two boys, Tenoch and Julio (Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal), who decide to take Tenoch’s cousin’s wife, Luisa, on a carefree roadtrip to a fantastically made-up beach: La Boca de Cielo. Naturally, antics ensue and drama arises when both boys realize their feelings for Luisa and each other, making for an emotional and transfixing journey. (Available on Netflix)

3. Letters to Juliet (2010)

For my fans of romantic comedies, here is your movie. Set in beautiful Verona, Italy, Letters to Juliet follows a young woman on her pre-honeymoon to Italy with her fiance, a chef working to open a new restaurant in New York City. While off looking into new and unique ingredients to incorporate into his cuisine, Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) begins to explore Verona and happens upon the balcony of Juliet Capulet, of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. What follows is an enchanting story of lost love, new love, and heartbreaking love. Letters to Juliet will have you dreaming of strolling through the cobblestone streets of Italy in no time! (Available on Hulu). 

4. Wild (2014)

For those of us craving a more rustic type of travel, Wild is the perfect movie for you. Starring Reese Witherspoon, Wild follows the true story of Cheryl Strayed, a woman in need of escape from her life, who decides to hike the Pacific Crest Trail despite having no experience hiking such distances. Wild will have itching to visit the beautiful Pacific Northwest and explore all the flora and fauna in no time! (Available to rent).

5. The Shallows (2016)

While The Shallows definitely does not take the prize for best shark-thriller out there, it does a great job of balancing “scary” scenes with more palatable “tense” scenes, making it less difficult for easily-scared audiences to watch. Or maybe I’m just super partial to Blake Lively, who happens to star in the movie. Anyways, The Shallows is a great surfer vs. shark movie, all set on an absolutely beautiful beach in Mexico. Definitely worth watching on your staycation if you are looking for a badass female lead and some edge-of-your-seat action. (Available to rent).

Movies are so special because they have the ability to transfix an audience and transport them to a different place in time in a totally different part of the world. This Spring Break, I hope you enjoy taking a trip to the magical Guava Island, the beautiful Mexico, the formidable Pacific Northwest, and the rich Italy.

Charlotte Krause is a senior studying to receive her bachelor’s in the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities at MSU. Her written works range from pieces on popular culture, including film reviews and curated recommendations, to articles about mental health and politics. Charlotte avidly believes that written works have the power to shape and create new lives, worlds, and identities and plans to continue contributing to the global cacophony of written works. Follow me @char_kra on Instagram!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.