This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Hiking is one of the many things to look forward to when it comes to summer in Michigan. It’s a great way to get some exercise, relax, and enjoy the outdoors. Lucky for us in Michigan, we have a ton of awesome hiking areas to check out. Here’s a few on M-22 to try out this summer!

Alligator Hill Trail

This 5 mile trail is located near Glen Arbor, Michigan. Alligator Hill has two main lookouts, one viewing Lake Michigan, and the other viewing Glen Lake. Both views are amazing and unique! The hike is rated as moderate, as it has a few inclines throughout the route. Overall, this trail is sunny and a lot of fun!

Pyramid Point

Pyramid Point is a very well-known spot in Michigan! It’s located near Maple City, not far from Glen Arbor. While this trail is only a mile long, it’s rated as moderate due to the steep incline all the way to the top. Once you get to the top, though, you’ll understand why the hike is so busy! The view of Lake Michigan is incredible! There’s a ton of space to explore and walk around on the dunes. If you prefer fewer people, I’d try to go earlier in the week, but even then you’ll probably still come across a good number of people since it’s very popular. I’d recommend going to Alligator Hill Trail on the same day, as it’s close by!

Arcadia Dunes Baldy Trailhead

If you’re looking to have some dunes all to yourself, this trail is perfect. I’d even argue that it’s better than Pyramid Point! The trail is rated as easy, though once you get to the sand dunes it might become difficult for some people, especially in hot weather. It’s about one to two miles, depending on which trail you take. I went on a random week day, and the place was pretty much empty! It was so cool to be able to have such a huge area of sand dunes to explore all to myself!

Clay Cliffs

Clay Cliffs is an easy 1.5 mile trail located in Leland. This trail is super fun because you get a little bit of everything! You get to traverse through the woods up to a beautiful scenic lookout, then you get to hike through a sunny, open, field. While you’re in Leland, you should check out Fishtown, and another nearby hike at the Whaleback Natural Area!

Empire Bluff Trail

This popular hike is located in Honor, Michigan. It’s a moderate, 1.5 mile long trail that offers a few different outlooks of Lake Michigan. There’s usually some heavy traffic on this trail, so be prepared for that!

I’ve hiked all of these trails, and I think you should too! All of them were super enjoyable and peaceful. Another fun benefit of hiking, is that you can explore the surrounding area too! There’s a ton of amazing sights to see and places to go off of M-22. If you’re a hiker, I definitely recommend adding these ones to your list!

Rayna is a junior in the School of Journalism. Her focus is in environment, science and health reporting, as well as health promotions. Rayna likes hiking, coffee, books, art, and plants.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.