This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The holiday season is upon us, and you know what that means— it’s time to dust off the holiday classics and begin the seasonal binge of all our favorite movies. In addition to your tried and true holiday favorites, here are five fantastic Christmas movies to add to your Nice List this season.

While You Were Sleeping (1995)

Starring Sandra Bullock, Peter Gallagher, and Bill Pullman, “While You Were Sleeping” is a heartwarming story about Lucy (Bullock), a lonely transit worker in Chicago who saves her longtime crush, Peter (Gallagher), from an oncoming train. Shenanigans ensue when Lucy gets pulled into the caring chaos of Peter’s family when she is mistaken as his fiance, and romance occurs once Lucy meets Peter’s brother, Jack (Pullman). Overall, this is a fantastic feel-good movie that is sure to get you excited for the holidays.

The Holiday (2006)

Comparable to “Love, Actually,” “The Holiday” (starring Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet) follows the parallel stories of Amanda and Iris (Diaz and Winslet, respectively) as they switch homes in an effort to find a relaxing change of scenery during the holidays. But, true to a holiday rom-com, both happen to find charming men to spice up their holiday retreat, creating a quaint and heartwarming story— plus, you’re not going to want to miss Cameron Diaz singing her heart out to The Killers’ “Mr. Brightside!”

Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)

Look, if you haven’t seen this movie, I’m inclined to wonder what you’re doing with your life. Bridget Jones (Renee Zellweger) is a somewhat down-on-her-luck 32-year old who decides it’s time to take control of her life as she spends yet another New Years alone. Thus, she begins an unfiltered diary documenting all her hysterical shenanigans— from flirting with her boss (Hugh Grant) to realizing possible feelings for the stoic Mr. Darcy (Colin Firth). This film is sure to get you laughing out loud and inspired to begin your own diary of adventures. 

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

“National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” is one of those films that you can watch over and over again and never get tired of. Starring Chevy Chase as Clark Griswold, this movie is about Clark’s extreme obsession with making sure the holidays go off without a hitch. However, things begin to go awry when Clark’s cousins show up unannounced, and the holiday bonus Clark is relying on to pay for a special Christmas surprise doesn’t arrive. 

White Christmas

For all my classic movie lovers, “White Christmas” is a must-watch. The film focuses on two WWII vets (Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye) who convince sister act Betty and Judy Haynes (Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen, respectively) to join them for a vacation in Vermont. But when they run into their old General, who’s struggling to keep his ski inn open as a result of a lack of winter snow in Vermont, Bob Wallace (Crosby) and Phil Davis (Kaye) decide to put on a show to raise money to help out. Featuring the classic tune “White Christmas,” this film is sure to make you feel cozy and warm.

So sit back, relax, and treat yourself to a Christmas movie binge! I hope all these films, old and new, inspire you to get into the holiday spirit and spread that holiday cheer!

Charlotte Krause is a senior studying to receive her bachelor’s in the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities at MSU. Her written works range from pieces on popular culture, including film reviews and curated recommendations, to articles about mental health and politics. Charlotte avidly believes that written works have the power to shape and create new lives, worlds, and identities and plans to continue contributing to the global cacophony of written works. Follow me @char_kra on Instagram!
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!