This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As most Spartans are in exam mode for the next two weeks, the stress—and lack of sleep—makes it difficult to stay motivated, focused, and to feel fully prepared for what’s to come. Looking for some helpful tips to get you through the end of the semester? Here are HC’s five essential study tips! Good luck! 

Write it down

• You know those PowerPoints posted on ANGEL? Don’t just read them, write down the slides! This will help you retain the information better—we promise!
  • Try taking notes in different colors to keep your focus and help you organize your notes better.

Introduce peppermint into your life

• People have been saying this for years, so it must be true!  Have mints, gum or peppermint tea while studying and taking exams, it helps stimulate the brain and keeps you focused! 

Set the right environment

• Try your hardest to get to class a few minuets early to give yourself time to get yourself mentally prepared. If you rush in, it’s going to be difficult to get yourself to focus.

Step out for a minute

• If you find yourself getting sleepy or zoning out, it might help to step outside for a minute and stretch.
  • Take a break and do something physical. Go for walk/run or do yoga.  

Think ahead

• Eat the right foods—and breakfast!! Try and get enough sleep. This will help you focus and stay awake during your exam!
 Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso