Style > Beauty

5 Cute and Eco-Friendly Swimwear Brands You’ll Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

While it may not be swimming weather right now, it’s always time for online shopping. If you’re anything like me, online shopping probably takes up a little bit too much of your time (and money). I’m well aware of how addicting it can be, and so I’m certainly not going to be the one to tell you to stop. However, I will encourage you to pay a little more attention to where you shop. The fashion industry is one of those industries that we don’t typically think about when it comes to pollution, but it’s actually a major contributor. For example, 10% of all the world’s carbon emissions are a direct byproduct of the fashion industry. So, as I mentioned before, the next time you’re online shopping, take a moment to think about the companies you’re planning to buy from. Sustainable fashion is a growing industry, with many brands coming out with both cute AND eco-friendly clothing! Below are 5 brands to kickstart your next swimwear online shopping spree. 

Ookioh

If you’re having a bit of trouble figuring out what the right way to pronounce this brand is, I’m right here with you. But, don’t let that deter you from checking out their website! The brand creates their swimsuits using 100% regenerable materials in the form of ocean waste and pre-consumer waste products and also aims to completely remove plastic from their packaging within the next two years. All of their pieces are simple yet fashionable – very similar to the designs and styles you’d see on PacSun’s website. 

https://ookioh.com

Myra Swim

Myra Swim continues with the trend of simplistic yet fashionable styles. The brand is working to combat fast fashion by creating swimsuits that not only are cute but are made to last a lifetime. Instead of buying a new swimsuit (or two) every summer, why not get one that’s just as cute and will, in the long run, save you money because it’ll last for years? To make it even better, all Myra swimwear is made from ECONYL, a regenerated nylon made from waste reclaimed from landfills. 

https://myraswim.com

Never Lost Swim 

Made in the U.S., Never Lost Swim is a brand that is conscious of the fact that consumers are looking for low prices. The separate bikini tops and bottoms range from around $30-$40 and the one pieces are around $70-$80 – relatively cheap for a brand that has ensured nearly every aspect of their business follows strict environmental protocols. All manufacturing and shipping is carbon offset, all swimsuits are printed on recycled materials and printed with environmentally friendly water based inks, and the company donates 10% of all its sales to ocean conservation. To top it off, Never Lost Swim is a size inclusive brand that features models of all body types and stocks sizes up to a 3XL.

https://neverlostswim.com

Night Dive Swim 

Night Dive is founded by a woman who used to work for big name brands like Urban Outfitters but left in order to pursue her dream of creating a swimwear line that encompassed both body positivity and sustainability. Night Dive uses curvier models with unretouched photos to combat the unfortunately still present idea that bigger women shouldn’t show as much skin as skinnier women. In terms of sustainability, all bikinis are made from ECONYL and REPREVE, both forms of recycled fiber. The company also produces zero waste, in part due to the fact that any left over fabric is used to help local communities and all packaging is biodegradable and compostable. 

https://nightdiveswim.com

American Eagle’s “Real Good” Collection 

While I wouldn’t classify the whole American Eagle brand as being eco-friendly, the “Real Good” collection is certainly a great place to look for sustainable swimwear. The swimsuits within this collection are made with REPREVE fibers and plastic bottles. As with the rest of American Eagle’s swimwear, this collection showcases models of all different backgrounds, shapes, and sizes to promote body positivity. Also, the nice thing about this being a collection within American Eagle, as opposed to its own brand, is that you get to still take advantage of relatively cheap prices and deals American Eagle offers! 

The “Real Good” collection also includes cute leggings and jeans as well!

https://www.ae.com/us/en/s/real+good

While these five brands are a great place to start your sustainable swimwear search, know that there are many other brands out there like these ones! Do your research; most companies will have a section on their website where you can read up on their sustainability policies. Being fashionable and being eco-friendly do NOT have to be mutually exclusive!

Jessie is a junior at Michigan State University majoring in psychology and minoring in cognitive science. In her free time, she loves taking naps, ice cream, traveling, hanging out with friends, and watching Netflix.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.