Collin Walsh of Grayscale
Collin Walsh of Grayscale
Kaytlyn Gannon
Entertainment

2021: The Year I was Graced By Grayscale

There’s a reason why our favorite artists are our favorite artists and why they mean so much to us. I first started listening to Grayscale last summer and in such a short time frame they’ve taken over all my playlists and have quickly became one of my favorite bands. Knowing me and seeing my playlists, that’s saying a lot.

Grayscale has been together since 2011 and originate from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They are a rock kind of pop punk band and what’s really amazing is that they still have all 5 of their original members in the band.

I saw them twice in 2021, first at Crofoot Festival Grounds for Sad Summer Fest in Pontiac, Michigan, with All Time Low headlining and then again at the Intersection in Grand Rapids for their own headlining tour. And let me just say, they put on one hell of a show both times.

They have a few albums but their latest album, ‘UMBRA’ was released in August of 2021 and consists of 11 songs. If you’re not familiar with Grayscale, I would recommend starting here and then exploring the rest of their music as I feel it really captures who they are as a band and explores their style.

They’re not new to the music scene by any means, but they have gotten a lot bigger in the past year and have been touring a lot. If you’re into more alternative artists, even if you just listen to their album one time, you’ll be adding their songs to your playlists.

Coming from a proud former fangirl, you need to check them out. You can start with ‘UMBRA’ or check out my favorite songs from them.

My top 5 Grayscale songs:

1. Dirty Bombs
  2. Beautiful Things
  3. Over Now
  4. Atlantic
  5. In Violet

Check out Grayscale on Instagram HERE

Check out their latest album ‘UMBRA’ HERE

Kaytlyn is a junior at MSU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Creative Writing. She has been a published journalist and writer for over 5 years. Kaytlyn is currently the Chapter President and Campus Correspondent for HCMSU as well as being involved in the Campus Trendsetters program and Internship Credit program. You can reach her by email through khmg2001@gmail.com or gannonk3@msu.edu.