Life > Experiences

20 Things I’ve Learned In 20 Years

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

On the last day of, January I’ll say goodbye to my teen years and hello to my twenties! I’ve lost, I’ve learned, I’ve loved, and I’ve lived as a teen, and now it’s time to do that all over again, but with a different number at the start of my age. Here are twenty things I’ve learned in twenty years: 

Find an anthem

This is a personal tradition I have for myself. My all-time favorite song is one that I find uplifting and adventurous. I play that song every year on my birthday to give myself a boost of good luck for the year. 

Consider and appreciate

I’ve been in a handful of relationships where people weren’t appreciative, and gratitude is one of my biggest morals. I’ve learned that being around someone who expresses unappreciation can take a toll on you. This could also mean surrounding yourself with people who share your morals, but appreciation alone is very important to me. 

Look to the next right thing

I learned this one after watching “Frozen 2” when I was barely sixteen. When something doesn’t go the right way, I often find myself asking where to go from here. What’s done is done. I can’t change what has already happened, so I have to learn what I can do better next time or what is the next step to moving forward. 

Don’t meet your heroes

They’re all weirdos. It’s cool to admire an icon and find their art cool, but getting close and parasocial is a weird process. It happens more than you’d think. You’ll be disappointed. They’re just as human as you are. 

Photograph everything

Yes, I’m that friend who constantly has a camera in her friends’ faces. I love capturing moments when I’m with my loved ones, and I encourage everyone to do the same. I think about how years from now, I’ll find these film photos of my youth and there will be great memories to look back on. 

Being single is okay

There is so much pressure around dating in your late teens. You feel like everyone around you is doing it, so why not join the trend? I feel better in my single eras, like I’m working for myself and myself only. This may change if I find the right person for me, but I’m in no rush to look for them. 

Concerts

Oh, live music, how I love you! Concerts have taken priority in my life recently. Whenever I attend a concert, I feel like I’m literally inside of the song being sung. 

Obsess less

There is nothing wrong with fixating on a show, an album, or an artist, but don’t let it go too far. This is my main source of procrastination, and I’m still breaking off this habit.

11:11

I’m big on superstition. Always make a wish. Wish on a star, on a dandelion, or on a candle, and use it for unselfish reasons.

High school sucked

Get over it.

Learn your history

Sit down and listen to your parents’ stories. Then ask about your grandparents. Ask your aunts and uncles about their stories. Everyone has one to tell.

Forget her and find her…

“If you lose yourself, it is never too late to find yourself again,” – Ashley Frangipane 

…And once you find her,

You may still not know who you are, and that’s okay! We’re all living life for the first time. It’s okay to learn new things about yourself as your life goes on. 

You are not for everyone

Not everyone is going to like you, so don’t let them get your spirit down, no matter how hard they try. Laugh with them. People will take any little flaw and run a mile with it; it’s not worth it to entertain petty behavior. 

Listen to whatever music you want to

I’ve gotten made fun of for my music taste for as long as I can remember. My taste will grow with me, but some parts may stay the same – that’s a part of growth. I will never understand why people feel the need to comment something negative about someone’s choice in music. You will never get a reaction out of me, or I’ll overreact so you feel bad. Leave people’s music taste alone. 

Stop being picky

I know this one is impossible for me,, but maybe if I write it down enough it’ll happen. (I just want to enjoy sushi!) 

Trends aren’t stupid

Items trend for a reason! It is because they’re popular. If you’re into something that’s trending, don’t let someone on the internet put that down because they are trying to be different. Hating on something that someone likes is mean. Drink out of your Stanley and wear your Sol De Janerio scents! 

Family is so important

I don’t know if my family knows this, but they mean the world to me. I’m lucky to have who I have in my family and I am grateful for that everyday. When we are together there is never a dull moment, and I hope it stays that way forever. 

Save your money

I’m so glad I learned this when I was young. It’s a difficult habit to get into, but once you do it gets easier from there, and gosh is it worth it. I’m at a great point in my life because of this lesson, and I hope that I’ll be fortunate enough to continue it. 

There is much more learning to do

I don’t know everything. I don’t think I ever will. I’ll lose myself, then find myself again. I’ll go through hard times and look for the next choice to make. I’ll learn along the way. 

As I enter my twenties, I’ll be sitting in a room with my closest friends. We’re going to have a comfy night and I’ll be thinking about how lucky I am to have them with me. I get to say hello to a new era surrounded by amazing people, and I couldn’t ask for a better way to begin a new journey of learning. 

Sophia Jundy is a sophomore at Michigan State University studying journalism, graphic design, and photography. Her end goal after university is to work with pop culture magazines and social media. She joined her campus looking for more opportunities and is actively looking to expand her knowledge in writing, editing, and reporting.