13 Ways to Get into the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s finally that time of year again – time to “ghoul” all out and get festive! If you’re not quite sure where to start with your month of Halloween madness, we came up with a few ideas for you.

1. Movie Marathon

Whether it’s binging on Harry Potter or finding the scariest movies on Netflix, a movie marathon is a must in October. If you’re not sure what to watch, Beetlejuice, Halloweentown and The Addams Family are all classics that might even give you some inspiration for a new costume.

2. Decorate

Decorating is one of the best parts about the holidays. Pinterest has a ton of great options for DIY decorations on a budget. If you really want to save, white garbage bags filled with air (no, not Donald Trump) and a spooky face make great last minute ghost decorations.

3. Make Halloween-Themed Food

You might be surprised at what you can make in a small space or even with limited supplies. Plus, no Halloween would be complete without some kind of candy or treat. Chocolate covered Oreos with Halloween sprinkles are super easy to make in a dorm (only requires a microwave). Another easy treat is Halloween Party Mix. Just mix up some candy corn, pretzels (bonus points: chocolate covered pretzels), a few M&M’s and some popcorn.

4. Go to a Pumpkin Patch

If you love being in the crisp autumn air while picking out the most perfect pumpkin, then this one’s for you. Whether going to your trusted favorite back home or a more local spot, the pumpkin patch is always wholesome fun.

5. Go to a Cider Mill

This one’s a given! With so many cider mills in Michigan, just pick your favorite and enjoy some cider and donuts.

6. Get a Seasonal Drink  

It’s finally fall, which means it’s the perfect opportunity to treat yourself to your favorite seasonal drinks. Go shamelessly buy yourself a delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte and enjoy! If the PSL doesn’t really light your jack-o-lantern, a warm apple cider or hot chocolate are never too far away.

7. Switch Out Seasonal Items

If you didn’t bust out all of your fall candles, soaps and air fresheners at 12:01 a.m. on September 21, then now is your chance.   

8. Start Planning Your Costume

Start planning your costume, or costumes, now so that it can be as detailed as you want it to be and nothing feels last minute.

9. Visit a Haunted House

If you’re feeling really spooky or you’re into getting scared, you’re ready for extreme Halloween activities like a haunted house or terrified forest. There is a range of terror from light (like a children’s carnival haunted house) to extreme (like Erebus in Pontiac). It just depends on what you’re looking for. However, the buddy system stills applies, and you should probably bring a friend.

10. Send Snail Mail

Send some seasonal greeting cards to relatives who you haven’t talked to in a while! Cards can even be homemade or found for less than $1. Who knows, sending your Great Aunt Gladys a card, letting her know how you’re doing, might just brighten her day.

11. Dress Festive

Wear as many Halloween accessories that you can possibly muster or just add a casual touch. Local thrift stores and grandparents’ basements usually have some hidden gems, like holiday sweaters, that would be perfect for this time of year.

12. Make a Halloween Playlist

Nothing sets the Halloween mood like a mysterious and spooky playlist. Some go-to songs are “The Monster Mash” by Bobby Pickett and The Crypt-Kickers, “The Munsters Theme” by Los Straitjackets or “Black Magic Woman” by Fleetwood Mac. Another option is to let Pandora do all of the tough work by searching for “Halloween Radio” or “Halloween Party Radio.”

13. Go to a Bonfire

Or if you live in a dorm or an apartment where a bonfire is neither safe nor allowed, that doesn’t mean you have to miss out! Grab a couple of pals and sit around a burning couch, as if it were a bonfire after we beat U of M, just in time for the holidays!

Freshman at MSU that loves dogs, Halloween and breakfast
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian