3 Movies You Should Watch This Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Here are 3 of my absolute favorite movies that you should watch (and I will most definitely be re-watching) this Women’s History Month.

1. Hidden Figures (2016)

This movie highlights the contributions of a team of female African-American scientists who were instrumental in the formation of the early NASA space program. Their stories are inspiring and truly showcase the true mettle and willpower it takes to see something to successful completion while battling harsh hurdles.

2. Queen of Katwe (2016)

Based on the life of Ugandan Chess Prodigy Phiona Mutesi, this movie focuses on the life of a 10-year-old girl living in the slums where she is taught by a missionary how to play chess and ultimately works towards a bright future. This movie stars acting powerhouses like David Oyelowo and Lupita Nyong’o and delivers a powerful message.

3. A League of Their Own (1992)

Although old, this movie still resonates with many today. An all-female baseball team strives to fight and survive in a world where they are often mocked and treated with scorn. I have watched this movie over 5 times, and each time I fall in love with it all over again.

The list generally goes on and on, but in the best of ways. Today, we have access to hundreds of stories about people who radicalized society as we know it. These stories give us the opportunity to learn and grow, no matter what medium they’re being portrayed by. 

Women’s History Month is an important celebration that commemorates the hard work and sacrifice of those before us.

Sanskriti is an undergraduate astrophysics major who loves to read and is very passionate about making and eating dumplings. She is the current Vice President of the Astronomy Club at Michigan State University, and can often be found hunting for new horror podcasts to listen to.