Career

Karlee Walker, MSU Nursing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Karlee Walker

Year: Junior

Major: Nursing

Hometown: Marquette, MI

When did you decide that you wanted to become a nurse? 

My earliest memory of wanting to go to college for nursing was my sophomore year of high school, but I have always loved helping people – I even put band-aids on my stuffed animals as a kid. I had always been a good student and I wanted a career that was meaningful to the world, so I decided on nursing. 

What is the most challenging aspect of being a nursing student? 

For me, it’s challenging to stay focused. Especially after COVID-19, I forgot how to do that. I think this is something that many students have experienced. 

What are some misconceptions about being a nursing student? 

“All mean girls are nurses, but not all nurses are mean girls.” Nursing is the most trusted profession, so if you really get to know people that are in your cohort, they can become lifelong friends. Give people a chance. 

What is your favorite part about being a student nurse? 

This might be silly, but the scrubs and equipment. You get a skills bag, having all of the tools you need and learning how to use it…. it makes it feel real. 

What are the most effective study habits that you have discovered? 

I don’t know if I have discovered them if i’m being honest. 

Medical terminology: flash cards/ memorization.

Pathophysiology: going through the steps over and over and try and teach it to someone else.

Assessment: practice, practice practice. 

What’s your hardest class you’ve taken so far? 

Pharmacology, for sure. It is so much information and so many substances with so many other components that you have to memorize. This is the class that taught me that. 

What advice do you have for applying to the MSU nursing Program? 

It’s super competitive. Understand that you might not get in the first time, but keep applying and keep putting effort in. 

What advice do you have for prospective MSU nursing students?

You have to put in the effort. A lot of people who are going into nursing know it’s going to be hard, and a lot of them are 4.0 students. But the nursing program is hard, even for some of the best students. I am only in my first semester of the nursing program and I can’t imagine how hard it will continue to be. You’re going to have to get used to getting C’s on things, you’re going to have to get used to putting in more effort than you probably have ever put in because it is ten times more stressful than normal college classes are. You really have to know the information and know how to apply it. Even though it is a tough program, all of the professors are there to help you; they want to help you succeed. 

Take care of yourself – take a day off once in a while. Understand when you need a break and are able to take a break. What is also great is that a lot of the professors are nurses themselves, so they understand what you are going through. That being said, it is important to take breaks, but it’s equally important to be able to bounce back from burnout. You have to be resilient. 

Do you have any personal struggles that you have faced being a student nurse that aren’t academic related? 

A personal struggle that I face is my general anxiety and social anxiety. I was worried that this was something that would hold me back a lot, but it’s not hard to connect with people if you put effort into it. Being able to connect with your patients is extremely important, but it is really tough for me to talk to people in public. If you think you can’t do something, take a deep breath, relax and move forward. 

Emma George-Griffin has been a staff writer for the Michigan State University Chapter of Her Campus since fall of 2022. George-Griffin is Senior at Michigan State University Studying Journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting and editing, and a minor in Documentary Production. She plans on earning her bachelor degree from Michigan State University in the spring of 2025, and plans to earn her Masters degree from the University in the winter of 2026. When she isn't working or in class, George-Griffin enjoys spending time in nature, reading Tarot, and painting.