Career

10 Quotes by Powerful Women to Inspire You to Make History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, meaning we learn about and reflect on the accomplishments and achievements of the women who have helped to shape the world we live in today. Of course, this does not mean that women’s history can be ignored during the other 11 months of the year, just that we must put in effort to ensure that their stories live on. We can learn so much from the examples of these women who were never afraid to stand up for what they believed in, and we can honor them by taking their words to heart. 

So, here are 10 of my favorite empowering quotes by some of the most powerful women in history. 

1. “It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.” – Madeleine Albright 

2. “Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg

3. “If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these together ought to be able to turn it back and get it right side up again.” – Sojourner Truth 

4. “I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning to sail my ship.”- Louisa May Alcott

5. “Don’t let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your curiosity. It’s your place in the world; it’s your life.” – Mae Jemison

6. “A woman is like a teabag – only in hot water do you realize how strong she is.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

7. “If you wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison 

8. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller

9. “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama

10.  “There is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.” – Virginia Woolf

Rachel is the Social Media Director at Her Campus MSU. She is a Senior at MSU's James Madison College studying Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy with a double minor in Business, and Science, Technology, Environment, and Public Policy. After graduation, she hopes to become a public interest lawyer or work in the government sector. She is an avid camper and enjoys spending her time in the great outdoors hiking and biking. She loves ice skating and has recently been trying to learn some new moves! Rachel also enjoys reading, cooking, crocheting, and trying as many bubble tea places as she can find.