10 Places to Go on a First Date in East Lansing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

1. Espresso Royale

While I may be biased in favor of this particular location, it’s an ideal spot for a casual first date. With a laid back atmosphere, delicious drinks for coffee or tea lovers, and a playlist that never disappoints, Espresso Royale provides the perfect backdrop for a stress-free first date.

2. Pinball Pete’s

Pinball Pete’s is a great arcade with a huge selection of games that you can play with your date. Have fun shooting some aliens or challenging each other to pinball. A little friendly competition can make a first date even more memorable.

3. HopCat

HopCat is always a good idea, and a great restaurant to get to know your date! Load up on crack fries and chat over one of their signature beers. No matter what, you’ll walk away with a happy stomach, and maybe even a happy heart.

4. Munn Ice Arena

Who doesn’t love a little bit of ice skating? Whether you grew up on skates, or if you’re like Bambi on ice, skating at Munn is cheap and loads of fun! One of the best ways to get to know someone is by taking part in a fun activity together — so grab some skates for a couple of bucks and brace yourself for some laughs on your first date.

5. The Broad Art Museum

Modern art certainly isn’t for everyone, but this is a good place to go if you’re on a budget. Free to all MSU students, you can get to know your new guy or gal while looking at some art. Whether you love it or laugh at it, the Broad will help to bring you together with your potential sweetheart.

6. SushiYa

Located conveniently on Grand River, this sushi place never disappoints. While there is a wide variety of sushi restaurants to choose from, this one is inexpensive, delicious, and relaxed. Chat over some green tea and a veggie tempura appetizer, and enjoy the always-delicious MSU Roll!

7. Curious Bookshop

This cute, bookstore is a perfect spot for all college-aged bookworms. It boasts a plethora of used books, and you can bond over your favorites while getting to know each other in a place that can’t help but make you feel relaxed. Peruse the stacks and, even if the date doesn’t work out, you’ll walk away with a new book to read.

8. Bubble Island

A fun treat located right on Grand River, you can try out a signature blend or create your own on your first date with your valentine. Get adventurous this Valentine’s Day with some new flavors!

9. MSU Dairy Store

The dairy store is always a good idea. Satisfy your sweet tooth with an ice cream cone or a milkshake.

10. Studio C! Movie Theater

A movie is a fail-safe first date. Catch the latest rom-com or Oscar-nominated movie at this movie theater, located right in Meridian. You can drive or take the bus, and cozy up to your date over a large bucket of popcorn.

Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.
Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.