Why Rory Gilmore is Not a Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MS State chapter.

As 2020 marks the twentieth anniversary of one of my most beloved binge-worthy shows, “Gilmore Girls,” the show has drawn criticism and lots of analysis over its main character, Rory Gilmore. Rory is her small town’s pride and joy, never gets into trouble and her nose is always in a book. Rory has big academic ambitions, and her best friend in life is her mother. Overall, a very kind, intelligent individual. Where is the issue? While Rory is painted as innocent and the world is out to get her at times, she is drowning in privilege and often fails to recognize how good she has it.

Rory, the only daughter of her single mom who had her when she was just sixteen, has one of the strongest bonds I have ever seen a daughter have with a mother. The two are inseparable, and in a way, her mother is growing up with her too. Her mother Lorelei comes from extravagant wealth and a preppy New England upbringing. Even though Lorelei left that life behind to make something of her own, she seeks her parent’s financial assistance in supporting Rory’s education. Rory gets to leave her public school and attend a prestigious private school that not only helps her get into Yale but also Harvard. One of Rory’s biggest struggles in season three was choosing between Yale and Harvard. Imagine. The poor thing. And on top of that, her grandparents covered her tuition for her. What did Rory have to do in return?  Simply have dinner with her grandparents once a week. But what about the hour commute from college to her grandparents’ house? Do not worry, they bought her a brand-new car. 

Although her education was well-earned with her grades and intellect, Rory was still provided opportunities most would never be afforded. As the show progressed, Rory seemed to become whinier and at times ungrateful, considering her circumstances. She had a mother who she could tell anything to, never had any kind of part-time job, and never had to worry about money if her relationship with her grandparents continued. Her micro-rebellions and fallout with Lorelei that plays out in seasons 5-6 show a privileged girl that needs a serious wake-up call. She gets caught throughout the series playing the victim when her life is nearly cookie cutter. She might not fall under the category of a “bad” person, but as I watch the show now in my twenties, I certainly do not look at Rory the same. Being in college and knowing how difficult it is to get by, it is cringey watching Rory handle situations without recognizing her place in this world.

~Emily Smith

Hi, my name is Reagan Thornley! :) I am currently a Business Administration student at Mississippi State with a completed minor in Political Science. Outside of Her Campus, I write for Juiced! Zine (https://juiceourmagazine.wixsite.com/mysite) and Crates Music Blog. Feel free to email me at jrtm.thornley@gmail.com with upcoming music events, artist/band suggestions, and travel tips and suggestions(especially food)! P.S. Donʻt forget to follow my adventures on my Instagram @lady_gk_