Working on laptop?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working on laptop?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

These 7 Steps Might Actually Land You an Internship This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Navigating the internship market can be tricky when there is a highly competitive field which is why you must start building your skillset during your freshman year. But where to begin? Here is a step-by-step guide to getting yourself through the door.

Get a Job Related to Your Career Field

Let’s face it, most internships are unpaid and that can put low-income students at a disadvantage. Most college students aren’t able to go to school, work for free, and manage their finances. When navigating the workforce, aim for jobs that are going to benefit you in the long run. For example if you want to work in fashion, work in retail or if you want to work in marketing, work in sales. Not only does this build your resume, but it also builds your skillset. If you can obtain buzzword skills such as “handling large sums of money” or “keyholder” it shows your future employer that you are reliable.

Create Your Own Opportunities

If you have faced rejection or you live somewhere with limited opportunities, create your own opportunities. During my sophomore year I wanted to find an on-campus publication that wrote editorial and lifestyle pieces, but there was only a local newspaper, so I reached out to Her Campus and launched my university’s chapter. Another idea for creating your opportunities would be reaching out to professionals in your career field and asking if they would be willing to mentor you.

Start Networking Online

Networking digitally can be even more beneficial than the typical in-person networking event. Join an online community in your career field such as CFashionista or Her Campus. Another resource to use is Tik Tok – if you scroll upon a page with someone you admire, reach out to them! Most of my network has been through Instagram, Tik Tok, and Facebook groups.

Maintain an Impressive Digital Presence

Social media is a fun way to express yourself, but keep it professional. Your social media should be a visual resume that showcases your abilities. Don’t be discouraged if your following number is small because your engagement rate is what counts! I have seen many social media users with 10k followers or more that have less engagement than my page with only 900 followers.

Go the Extra Mile and Start Attending Guest Lectures and Events

Utilizing events in your area to expand your knowledge and skillset is an easy way to get the ball rolling. Find events that are centered around your career area and maybe even some out of your comfort zone that may still benefit you. Attending events centered around finance, business management, and entrepreneurship can optimize your abiliti

Do Your Own Research

If you feel underqualified for an internship due to lack of knowledge, don’t hesitate to do your own research. Take an online course that can give you a certification in skills such as Abode Suites or SEO.

Don’t Wait Around to Apply

Don’t wait around for an opportunity to present itself for an internship. Start your applications as early as August for internships that begin in May. Internships fill up fast and as the old saying goes “the early bird gets the worm”.

Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.