Style > Decor

Spice Up Your Apartment for Fall (Here’s How)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

When you see the leaves changing to a beautiful spectrum of color and the weather is just right to finally put on that favorite pair of jeans you had in the back of the closet and everything around you seems to have some kind of pumpkin theme from pumpkin spice lattes to pumpkin patches around every corner; you know it is that season everyone loves, fall. It can be so easy to be wrapped up in fall festivities that there is one area that gets overlooked which is fall decoration. Now I know what you are thinking “people over decorate for Halloween every year!”. True, that falls under the category of Fall decor but that is just one holiday of the season. Fall is a season covering numerous holidays and traditions for family and friends. Pumpkins, leaves, acorns, and fall colors are all amazing decorations for homes and dorms that can give a style that not only states being festive but also looks very cozy and inviting. So let’s fall into some tips that will make your place look like the pick of the patch.

There are countless displays to make your home look like heaven for fall time lovers. Fall foliage would be the number one thing to spread across your home/dorm and what I mean by this is pumpkins, gourds, pinecones and leaves that will give your place the natural fall time look. You can mix these all together and display them along your mantle or on long tables. For your dining area, find a bold statement piece such as a bowl, then fill it with fall accessories. Your dining ware should also accentuate fall colors to stay with the theme. Pumpkin plates, brown napkins, and wooden chargers are a few simple ideas that could make guests fall in love with your dining room. 

Though your dining room may be enchanting, make sure to impress them on their way out. Hanging something on your door isn’t just for Christmas decor; it is a must for fall as well. Some ideas for door decor include a fall-themed DIY. You can make a fall wreath out of miniature pumpkins, pinecones, and cotton. And don’t forget to tie a ribbon at the top to make it stand out. If you have an outside patio, you can decorate with a hay bale, a miniature scarecrow, and of course as many pumpkins as you want! Take advantage of the one season where you can’t over-do it on the pumpkins! 

There are so many ways to decorate your home or dorm tastefully and festively for fall. Simply putting a pumpkin here or there can make such a difference in a place that usually doesn’t have much decor. The season of fall is such a happy time for family and friends that reminds us that the holidays have just begun. And times ahead are going to be filled with great laughter and happy memories. So, go get that pumpkin spice latte that you have been waiting all year for and make your place a festival of color.

Jonathan Weed

Montevallo '22

I am Jonathan Weed a Mass Communication major at the University of Montevallo. I love all things to do with Mass Media and cannot wait for the future of journalism.
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.