stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

My Skin Care Routine Consists of Drug Store Products Only – Here Are the Best Products I’ve Found

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

I have always had a complicated relationship with my skin. From breakouts to dry skin to redness – I always consider myself super lucky when I had even a few days with clear skin. This past summer, it felt like my skin was at an all-time low.

I was dealing with itchy, red, dry patches and some pretty intense acne. That being said, I found myself in a rut of frustration toward my skin. I spent a lot of time researching various skin types, techniques, and products, and it seems I’ve finally found a good skincare routine that works specifically with my skin! Better yet, every product that I use can be found at various drugstores! 

I have combination skin, meaning that instead of my skin either being dry or oily, it’s a little bit of both. On top of that, I have very sensitive skin and have had my fair share of experiences with products that worked wonders for my friends yet had nothing but negative effects for myself. 

I’ll be listing the products that I have been using in the order that I use them during my skincare routine! These products are also just what I have found work for me, but everyone’s skin is unique – so, make sure to consult a dermatologist if you are suffering from severe breakouts or acne.

Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser

The first product that I’ve had positive results with is Cetaphil’s Daily Facial Cleanser. The Cetaphil brand was recommended to me during one of my very first visits to the dermatologist due to how sensitive my skin is.

On Cetaphil’s website, the description for the product states, “Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser has a low-foaming formulation that is gentle enough to use on your face every day. Use it in the morning and at night to remove surface oils, dirt and makeup — all without stripping the skin, which can leave it feeling tight and dry.” 

Since using this cleanser, I’ve noticed that it leaves my skin feeling clean and soft, but not overly dry like other cleansers I’ve used in the past have. This particular product is labeled as being “designed for normal to oily skin.” I may experiment with some of their other products, but this one has certainly helped keep my breakouts to a minimum and has kept my skin clean without irritating it. I’ve been grabbing this product from CVS or Walmart for under $10.

Biore Witch Hazel Pore Clarifying Toner

The second product that has had a huge impact on my skin is Biore’s Witch Hazel Pore Clarifying Toner. I was eager to add toner to my skincare routine for a while, and in my frustration with my skin, I grabbed this one off the shelf at CVS when I saw it was on sale. I had no idea that I would like it as much as I do, so this has been the toner that I continuously keep on hand!

On Biore’s website, the description for this product says, “This light-weight Toner with witch hazel helps restore skin’s balance as it deep cleans and removes residue a cleanser might have missed. Witch Hazel is known to tighten pores, while salicylic acid controls oil and treats blemishes.”

After cleansing, I just apply the toner to a cotton pad and wipe it thoroughly over my face (don’t forget your neck!) You can use this product 1 to 3 times a day, but you should start small before increasing to make sure your skin isn’t drying out. I try to use it in the morning and at night, but I may go ahead and do it at other points in the day if my skin is being particularly difficult. I’ve been able to find this product for about $6 at CVS, but it can also be found at Walmart and Target for about the same price.

POND’s Dry Skin Cream Facial Moisturizer

The third product that I literally can’t live without is POND’S Dry Skin Cream Facial Moisturizer. I can’t stand when my skin feels dry, but I knew I needed a moisturizer specifically for my face that wouldn’t clog my pores or leave my face feeling slick and oily.

POND’S website describes this product as having “a rich and creamy formula that is easily absorbed by the skin to hydrate deeply while significantly reducing dryness.” 

Lucky for me, this moisturizer is also hypoallergenic and suitable for sensitive skin! I’ve been making sure to use this moisturizer after cleansing, getting out of the shower, or before putting on makeup to keep my skin hydrated. Lastly, and one of the best things about this product, is that I’ve been picking it up from Dollar General for about $3.95!

Studio Selection Micellar Water

I typically use this product after my cleanser, but I only use it if I’m wearing makeup, and it’s Studio Selection Micellar Water. I was having this huge problem with makeup wipes of all different brands burning my skin and eyes, so I decided to give micellar water a try and have found it to be a lot better! 

This is also another product that I grabbed from Dollar General for only about $4! The product description on Dollar General’s website states that it is “powerful, yet extremely gentle to the skin. It quickly removes makeup, cleanses and refreshes skin. Micelles capture and lift away dirt, oil and makeup without harsh rubbing, leaving skin clean and refreshed without drying.” This is a product that I may play around with by trying out different brands, but this one sure does the trick when you’re in a pinch. Similar to toner, all I do is apply the product to a cotton pad and wipe away any makeup from my face. It may take a bit longer if you’re wiping away more heavy eye makeup, but if I’ve done a relatively natural look for the day, it’s pretty quick and easy, and helps me know that I’m getting my skin clean before going ahead and using cleanser! 

All of these affordable products have greatly improved the quality of my skin, but the key is to be continuous with your skincare routine. Even when you’re exhausted from the day, do not forget to take off your makeup and give your skin the TLC it needs! It’s also comforting to know that I’ve been able to find things that work without spending a fortune, but don’t be afraid to treat yourself once in a while either!. 

Danielle Tetro is a graduate student at the University of Montevallo who is pursing her Master of Education in Counseling with a focus on Clinical Mental Health. She completed her undergraduate studies at the University of Montevallo in 2019 and received her Bachelor of Art in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Danielle hopes to work in a University setting counseling college students while continuing to write in her spare time. Danielle enjoys coffee, sushi, and dogs of all kind.
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.