alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Declutter Your Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’re feeling the jealousy of those unwrapping the iPhone 11 Pro and flexing it all over social media. The idea of a new phone unleashes the power of a new life. The satisfaction of an empty camera roll and a full storage space is tempting but isn’t only attainable through a new phone. 

According to the “extended self” concept, it can be speculated that we visualize our phones as part of our lives; therefore, it is important to have a clean phone for a clean mind. So, stop whatever social media you’re mindlessly scrolling through, and get to work on cleaning up your cyberspace.

Trash the Spam Emails 

Remember fetching endless advertisements from your mailbox as a kid and sighing that it wasn’t a birthday card? That’s the modern-day equivalent to the thousands of promotional emails piling up in your inbox. Take thirty minutes out of your day to not only delete the emails but unsubscribe from the mailing list. To avoid this mess in the future, either opt-out of the email option at the cash register or create an email for just promotional emails.

Delete Useless Contacts

The number of contacts that are useless on your phone may surprise you. Use an extremely minimalist approach to this. If you haven’t texted them in six months, delete their contact; especially if it’s your ex.

Rearrange Your Apps

Call me a perfectionist if you will, but there is nothing more satisfying than a clean home page on your phone. Delete unnecessary apps such as Angry Birds or the Compass app to make more storage. Categorize your apps into tabs for a more effective organization.

Delete Photos (Yes, Even Ones With Your Ex)

When you’re a college student, the majority of your camera roll is pictures of homework rather than weekend memories with friends. The easiest way to skim through your disaster of a camera roll is to go to the automated album titled “screenshots” and delete all of the ones that are no longer serving you. All of those one time use memes shouldn’t have a home in your storage space after all.

New Wallpaper, New Me

New wallpaper for both your lock and home screen, is similar to redecorating your bedroom. A fresh color scheme gives your phone a whole new vibe. One of my favorite habits is putting a Pinterest photo as my lock screen that reminds me of a goal I want to accomplish, whether that be a healthy lifestyle or outfit inspiration. 

Give Your Phone a Makeover 

Though a digital detox is important, so is cleaning up the hardware of your phone. Take off your phone’s most likely dirty case and sanitize the screen with a disinfectant wipe. Similarly to a new home screen, purchasing a new case can also spice up your phone. Besides, a twenty-dollar phone case is a lot more affordable than the iPhone 11 Pro.

A digital decluttering is a great way to give your life more clarity and ease while going about your social and professional life via cell phone. It’s time to delete exes, useless gaming apps, and spam emails. With an organized phone, you’re sure to maximize productivity and storage space!

Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.