Why Winter is the Worst While Living On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I think many people can agree, including myself, that winter is not their favorite season of the year. If you’re like me, someone who enjoys sunlight and nice weather, along with being outside and being productive, winter is very tough to get through — especially while living away from home. Here are 4 reasons why winter is the worst while living on campus:

1. Walking in the bitter cold from class to class.

I think a lot of people can agree with me on this one. Being utterly freezing outside is already a bummer but walking from class to class, in the bitter cold is even worse. Having your entire body numb every time you walk outside is not a fun time, especially when you have to walk halfway or sometimes all of the way across campus to get to your next class.

2. It’s getting darker outside earlier.

When daylight savings comes along, everyone seems to get thrown off since it gets darker earlier. However, while being away at college, I feel as if daylight savings hits you harder than usual. I noticed in the beginning of the school year, I felt more productive. Everyone, including myself, was used getting out of class at 4 o’clock with the sun still shining as bright as it can be. Since it now gets dark earlier, people finish their classes and feel as if the day is gone and the motivation to do anything else is essentially gone!

3. Feeling like you’re trapped in your dorm.

For me personally, I have felt like I’m trapped in my own dorm during the winter time here at college, since there are not that many things to do. At first, being in a dorm isn’t too bad. After a while, it’s not that fun anymore and it starts to become boring. It can even make you go crazy (well, not actually crazy, but you know what I mean). That’s why I feel like it is a good idea to make some effort to change your scenery during the winter season in college!

4. Not being home.

If you’re a homebody like I am, college is already difficult enough to adjust to. During the winter time it’s even more challenging since all you want to do is be in the comfort of your own home, all warm and cozy. There’s no place like home, especially during the winter time!

Photo Sources: 1, 2

Hope is a junior at Montclair State University, majoring in English. She is the current Lifestyle editor at Her Campus Montclair. Besides having a love for writing, you can often find her listening and discovering new music, admiring sunsets, and fangirling over dogs. 
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.