Why Separating Plus Size Women Should Be a Thing of the Past

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

When you think of a plus sized woman, what comes to mind? An hourglass body? Someone larger than a size 12? Someone who is fat and didn’t take care of themselves? What about just an ordinary human being? Is there really that huge of a difference between someone who is skinny and who is heavier? Appearance wise, yes, but how about psychologically? Telling someone who is skinny that they have a boyish figure has the same negative psychological effects as telling someone who is of fuller finesse that they are fat. Because of society’s constant demand to differentiate those who are “petit”, “average”, and “plus sized”, we have completely forgot about what labeling a group of people could do to them.

In the fashion industry, it’s typically taboo to have a model that is “plus size” to walk down the runway. I mean, seriously, who wants the closest thing to an average woman wearing their looks? Apparently, not many. Fashion hasn’t been very friendly to those of larger size up until they realize that a majority of American women aren’t a size 4 or smaller. All though the stores themselves have amped up their size charts, that still isn’t enough. What full figured women really need is for the clothes on the runway or even in the advertisements to be worn by someone who looks like them.

I am a size 12-14. There has been many times where I felt that I have to strictly wear dark colors to masquerade my body and to appear thinner.  Have you ever looked in the plus size section of a store? Usually, the clothes are of darker colors, wider cuts, and have minimal print. Why is it that plus size clothes need to be separate from the rest? Why can’t brands make the same dress range from a size 0 to a size 18? Not to say all brands don’t do that but most do. There really is no justification behind it. It’s time to unite the women of all sizes.

Shopping for clothes now compared to 5 years ago is much easier. Of course there are still hiccups in the system but full figured women are slowly starting to be recognized as just much as thinner women. It’s really an accomplishment to be able to go into a store and see clothing from a size 0-18. Because clothing options for women that are of a full figure used to be atrocious… elastic waistbands? Tent-like dresses? It was such a crime but with the increase of the full figured community, came the demand and arrival of more size options in clothing stores. I have been in several stores and at first, felt like I wouldn’t look good in anything because the clothes look ideal on the model. But after trying it on, it honestly doesn’t look that much different on me. Sure, my legs are fuller and my hips are wider but I still look just a beautiful as the model. So please, women of fuller figures, do not be discouraged by not looking like a model. You should be proud of your body because you are the representation of the average woman. 

"Fashions fade, style is eternal" -Yves Saint Laurent