rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Who Wrote the Book on Being Beautiful: Engaging in Self Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

My skin is golden, my needs are important, and my body is a temple that has not yet been completed. I wake up every day repeating that sentence. Why? Because I need something that can make me feel good inside. As a young woman, I have been tarnished. I have been told that a size 2 can get you “in” and that my melanin is not the right skin. Who wrote the book on being beautiful? You must be your OWN beautiful and engage in your own self love. I understand that self love isn’t always easy, but here are some tools to get you started.

1. Find a day or two for yourself.

Whether it’s during the week or the weekend. Wake up at your own time, sleep in, or even start your day at 5:30pm. Do whatever makes you happy.

2. Take that salad and throw it in the trash.

Eat that double bacon cheese burger that you have been avoiding. Eat what you want and stop stressing about your weight. It doesn’t matter if you wear a small or a XXL —  your body is beautiful.

3. Remind yourself that you are worthy.

Walk up to the nearest mirror, look at your reflection, and let yourself know how much of a beautiful bad b**ch you really are. Ladies, remind yourself that no one can take away your power.

4. Listen to feel good music.

Create a powerful playlist just for yourself and listen to it in the shower, in the car, or at work. Just dance your heart out! For example, my powerful playlist consists of Beyonce, Rihanna, and Cardi B.  Play that song that will make you feel good, blast it really loud, and just scream it out to your reflection or to the world!

5. Release your frustration.

Self love is difficult especially when you feel like you are alone —  but remember that is not true. . You have a team and are surrounded by many people who love and care about you. When there are moments you become frustrated, take time to write down some of your flaws, then crumble it up and destroy them. Getting rid of those negative thoughts will help you understand that nothing can ever bring your temple down.

It took me a while to take back my self love and to rebuild my temple. Though, with these steps, I was able to build myself into someone better. I will not be broken down, I will not be torn, I will be MY beautiful.

Tatiana Ricks

Montclair '21

My name is Tatiana Ricks I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I enjoy learning from others and researching the latest trends, I admire self-love, books, and healing myself spiritually.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.