This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As the leaves change, it’s time to do the same. If you’re anything like me, you are in desperate need of changing things up in your life. I’ve started this change with the seasons, and you can too! It’s time to get rid of old things, do better self-care, change your hair, etc. Now that you’re familiar with classes and have a routine settled, it’s time to take the time out for yourself. You deserve a new beginning. It’s time to turn over a new leaf. 

Getting Rid of Old Things 

The hoarder mentality is real, especially with clothes. You loved it at one point, and now it just sits in your closet and collects dust. Maybe it’s not even your size anymore. You don’t want to throw it away or get rid of it because you always say you’ll wear it “one of these days”, but the truth is, you won’t. It’s okay to change your wardrobe. You don’t need to have a cluttered area if you don’t have to. If it’s in good condition, go ahead and donate it. There’s no reason to throw away a perfectly good shirt or outfit. There are so many places who would gladly accept your clothes and there’s a family out there who appreciates it more than you’ll ever know. 

Self Care

Now that summer is over, many feel there’s no motivation to take good care of their bodies. They’ll just hide everything under their sweatshirts and boots. This isn’t true! You deserve to care for your body and mind at all times of the year. Just because nobody can see your toes, doesn’t mean you can’t get a pedicure. Treat yourself to a nice mani and pedi, and just relax. If you’re having back pains due to stress, treat yourself to a massage. It’s not good to keep that tension in your body. Self-care isn’t just about looks and body, though. Keeping up with your mental health is just as important. You’re halfway through the academic semester and this is when things get real. Take a breath. School is important, but so is your mental health. Take time to meditate and focus on your health. Do things you love. Write in a journal. Do some yoga. Relax your mind and so some self-care. 

Change Your Hair 

I recently changed my hair up and it made a huge difference in the way I carry myself. I got blonde highlights and cut off an inch or two. My hair looks totally different, and I feel great about it! Many people feel like they’re living a painfully ordinary life and never taking risks, and if that’s how you roll, that’s okay. Nothing is wrong with that. On the other hand, if you’re looking to take a risk and change up your life, take yourself down to the salon and get a new do. Go on Pinterest, search for a haircut or hair color you like, and see if somebody is willing to help you make that idea become a reality! If you don’t feel like driving to a salon and making an appointment, using box dye is simple. You can make a huge change in the comfort of your own home. If you want, get some inspiration from the leaves and do your hair red, orange or blonde! Those are the best autumn colors, in my opinion. My hair is a red color at the moment, and I’m loving every minute. 

Regardless of what you do, make sure you’re doing it for yourself and nobody else. You deserve to be happy and confident in the skin you wear. This is the time to make a change and truly turn over a new leaf. 

Maria Hofmann

Montclair '22

Just a Journalism major with a passion to write. She loves listening to music and attending concerts as often as she can. She loves to drink coffee on the regular as she spends some quality time gossiping with her best friends, one being her mom! She's super outgoing and loves to meet new people so she can share stories about her life with others.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.