Staying Sane This Semester, Despite Your Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As a college student, I love finding ways to stay involved and keep myself busy, yet sometimes the balance can become overwhelming! As I finish up my sophomore year, I continue to balance five classes, my Her Campus editor position, sorority chairman, two different jobs, friendships, relationships and somewhat of a social life! Although stressful at times, I’m so happy I’m able to stay involved and busy during college, and through it I’ve learned some beneficial skills. It you’re anything like me, here are some tips on how to stay sane this semester, despite your busy schedule:  

Get a Planner/Calendar

Personally, I found that purchasing a calendar and planner has been super helpful with my time management and organization. I can keep track of everything from homework assignments, events, meetings, work schedules, deadlines etc.; and it serves as a great visual to mentally keep track as well. Without my planner, it’s likely that I wouldn’t even know what day it is.  

Fix Your Sleep Schedule

Ditch the all-nighters and start going to bed at a decent time. Being tired throughout the day will surely make you miserable and definitely won’t help you become more productive. When we are expending energy throughout the day, it’s so important that we get the proper amount of sleep to account for it all.  

It’s Okay to Say “No”

I know based off personal experience that it’s hard to say no sometimes, especially when you don’t want to let anyone down. However, over scheduling yourself can become a big problem, leading to high stress levels, less sleep and not enough time to complete every task you’ve taken on. You have to make sure you’re not taking on more than you can handle. Whether it means saving something for next semester or deciding to spend the night in rather than going out, it’s all about prioritizing and accepting the fact that you have a lot on your plate!

Organize Your Space

This one may sound random but having a clean and organized bedroom/dorm room really makes all the difference! When my space is clean, I find that I have an overall better mood. I feel more productive, motivated and more likely to accomplish everything. When I come home after a long day just to see piles of clothes on the floor, a cluttered desk and empty water bottles everywhere, all I want to do is curl up in my bed and avoid it all. In the past this has lead to hours of unproductivity, major procrastination and an overall decrease in my mood. When you’re busy, keeping up with a clean space can be hard; by the end of the day you’re tired and it’s easy to fall into the habit of just tossing your things down wherever they land. Carve out some time to really organize your space— you’ll be so grateful you did!   

Take Care of Yourself

One of the most important pieces of advice I can give is to make sure you are always remembering to take care of yourself, too. Make physical and mental health a priority. It’s great to stay busy, but we don’t want to wear ourselves down when doing so. Eat right, keep your body moving and stay mindful, even when things seem hectic. Take advantage of your downtime and find things that make you feel relaxed. For me, journaling, reading, listening to music and watching YouTube videos always seem to do the trick. Create a balanced routine of things you have to do and things you want to do, and stick to it—routines build habit.

Try implementing some of these ideas into your everyday routines! You’ll surely see—and appreciate— the results.

Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester. 
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.