Art has been used for centuries as a form of self expression, and in a lot of cases it has been found to have therapeutic properties. For me, the most impactful therapy methods I have used throughout my mental health journey have included art.
Today I will be sharing a simple art therapy method to slow your mind down in times of chaos. This technique is called “Self Portrait.”
Here are the steps:
- Pick any object nearby. It can be a photo, cereal box, your favorite clothing item, etc. It can be pretty much anything you want.
- Grab a piece of paper and a pencil.
- Go to a quiet spot or out in nature.
- Trace the object, keeping your pencil on the paper at all times without lifting it. This is a mindful activity which forces you to be in the present moment.
- Look at the drawing after you have completed tracing.
- Write down anything that is causing you to be stressed all over the paper.
- Throw the piece of paper away.
This technique is beneficial because it forces you to slow down your mind, be in the present moment and expel anything on your mind that is causing you stress.
This technique takes a few minutes of your time and may add a tool to your stress relief tool kit! Overall, I hope whatever is causing you stress soon fades, and you seek the peace you deserve in your life.