nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to Everything Holding Me Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Whether it be it due to people, places, or things, I didn’t move as far forward as I would have liked to in 2016. Now well into the new year, I want to reflect on what has been holding me back, address it openly, and move on. From toxic friendships to my own fear of failure, this article will likely resonate with anyone who has ever felt like they weren’t moving in the right direction.

Dear Anxiety,

I need to move on. I can’t let fear and what-if’s keep me from living my life. I get it, you’re trying to protect me. But the problem is your over-protective nature is slithering and shaking into every crevice of my life. From the moment I wake up to the second I close my eyes to sleep, I can hear you in the back of my mind, questioning every decision I make, each thing I do, everywhere I go. I can’t (and won’t) let you control me. Some things will be scary, yes, and I might even get hurt and prompt an “I told you so”, but that’s life, and I am determined to live it.

Dear Ex-Friend,

It’s not my fault that you couldn’t accept me for who I am. The demise of our relationship was inevitable once you decided who I should be instead of working with who I was. Friendships can’t work – actually, life can’t work – if you’ve made up your mind about how things should be, with no flexibility to welcome the fact that things change. I try to bend you and you break into sharp, accusatory shards that then refuse to move. I’ve learned from my mistakes, and I’ve learned from yours too.

Times change, people change, I’ve changed, and I’m sorry that you can’t see that that’s okay. 

Dear Failure,

I’ve always been afraid of you. You loom over every act I make. Even now, as I type this, I see you hovering over every key I press. Here’s the thing: you’re not something I can avoid, so I have to accept that the two of us will be very well acquainted at times. I’m not perfect, and frankly, have no intentions to be. My flaws come together in the most beautiful way to shape who I am.

Will I stop trying to run away from you? Of course not. But I’ll do my very best to make sure we stay as far apart as humanly possible.

You can’t ruin me because I won’t let you, and you can’t bring me down because I am upward bound.

Sincerely,

Wishing you my best,

Regards,

Ciarra

Image Sources: 1, 2

Ciarra is a senior fashion student with a penchant for style and technology. She can never say no to a cup of tea and a good book. In her spare time, she enjoys cupcakes, writing, and 3D printing. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @lefthvnded
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.