This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

When thinking back to my freshman year, it seems like forever ago. However, I can still recall the overwhelming nerves mixed with excitement I experienced leading up to the first day. Looking back on it, there’s a lot I wish I could tell myself that I know now.

First of all, get excited! The ups and downs you’re about to experience will begin to shape you and help you mature and grow in brand new ways. You should be proud of yourself for making the decision to not only further your education, but try something new. Through the moments of both stress and happiness, always have an optimistic approach.This is also going to be a year of big change and a lot of adjustments. Getting used to new surroundings, routines and people can seem like a lot to handle, but keep in mind that everyone else is going through it too. Help each other out and build friendships, especially during that first semester!  

Remember that all of your emotions are valid. You’ll have days when you feel like you are ready to accomplish anything, days when all you want is to be at home in your own bed and so many feelings in between. But whatever you’re feeling, there is nothing wrong with you. Everyone’s experience is different! Yours is for you to figure out and learn from without anyone else’s standards or expectations.  

Finally, one of the most important pieces of advice I can give you is to have an open mind. This applies to everything: classes, friendships, professors, social situations and so much more.  Always be aware and keep your sense of good judgement, but understand that this is your time for growth. Don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone sometimes because it could lead to opportunities that you didn’t even know were out there.

It may sound cliche, but freshman year goes by faster than you think. Learn from everything, make the best of your situation and appreciate it. It’ll be over before you even know it.

Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester. 
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.