New Year, Same You: How to Keep Those Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

So you’ve decided that you want to make some changes in 2017. That was the first step; now how do you maintain these changes throughout the entire year?

Whether you’re picking up a hobby, vowing to shed a couple pounds or finally becoming more organized, know that all of your goals are attainable with hard work and dedication. Here are some tips to help you stay on track and make 2017 your best year yet!

Make Realistic Goals

If you visit the gym once a semester, deciding to start exercising every day as a resolution may not be as attainable as it seems. Start slow, start small, and build your way up. As Confucius said, “It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.”

Tell Someone About Your Goals 

Be it a friend, significant other, or family member, make sure they know (at least) some minor details about your plans and ask them to check in on you regularly. Having another person involved will not only help with motivation, it will keep you on track.

Set Yourself Up For Success

Looking to lose weight? Get that gym membership and shop sale racks for exercise clothes. My app recommendations include My Fitness Pal and Daily Yoga for calorie counting and great yoga workouts, respectively. Hoping to get straight A’s? Download Evernote or whichever note taking app you prefer, stay on top of your deadlines and practice active listening with your friends and family.

Keep it Going

Write yourself a letter or short note when you decide on your goal and remind yourself why you are choosing to do it. Keep it handy so when you lose motivation, you can read it and remember why you began in the first place. Try out apps like Stride: Goal & Habit Tracker + Life Organizer or Habitica to keep track of goals and give yourself an extra motivation boost when you need it.

Reward Yourself!

Set milestones and treat yourself when you reach them. Lost 10 pounds? Buy that dress you’ve been eyeing. Aced that exam? Celebrate with a fro-yo date. Involve your friends who are making and reaching their own goals too – the more, the merrier!

So what goals are YOU setting for yourself this year? Have any tips you’re implementing on your path to success? Let us know in the comments below. Here’s to a great 2017!

Sources: 1 2 

Ciarra is a senior fashion student with a penchant for style and technology. She can never say no to a cup of tea and a good book. In her spare time, she enjoys cupcakes, writing, and 3D printing. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @lefthvnded
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.