This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

College is a big transition—it’s a time to explore new things and grow as a person. With all new journeys comes change, which is scary for everyone. Making friends in college can be a big challenge. It’s intimidating putting yourself out there and getting out of your comfort zone. Personally, I had a hard time making friends—I was very shy and let my anxiety get the best of me. I eventually put myself out there after a while and started to talk to people.

My college journey did not start out the best as I didn’t have a roommate, and because I didn’t have that person to fall back on I found it really hard to put myself out there. I just recently transferred schools because I knew I was unhappy and uncomfortable in that environment. During my first three months here at Montclair I was able to get out of my comfort zone, make friends and put myself out there. 

Trust me I know better than anyone, it is so hard to get out there, but once you do you feel so much more confident in making friends. I believe making friends in college all starts with confidence. If you believe in yourself and feel comfortable then joining clubs and talking to people in class all seems to become easier. Being at a school that’s right for you helps a lot since you basically live at a college campus for four years. It has to be the right environment or else you won’t want to do anything.

To help make friends in college you have to be confident in yourself, and be comfortable in your college environment. Being able to have relationships with others all starts with yourself, so those two aspects are key for making friends. One other way that is very helpful is putting yourself out there. You hear it all the time, but it truly is one of the best pieces of advice, and by joining clubs and organizations, you are doing just that. By doing this you are opening yourself up to so many different people and experiences. 

College can be scary since most of the time you’re starting out alone. Once you find that confidence and comfort that works for you, and you can put yourself out there, making friends becomes super easy! For more tips and advice on friendships and making friends check out these other HerCampus articles, Tips for Friendship and How To Make Friends Everywhere You Go.

Abbie Nini

Montclair '21

Abbie Nini is a junior at Montclair State University. She is currently studying communication and media arts with a minor in business. Abbie loves all things fashion, after she graduates she is hoping to pursure a career in the fashion industry. She is passionate about many things and can not wait to see what the future holds. Abbie is a big Disney lover and is always ready to shop!