Wellness > Mental Health

Little Things To Do Every Day To Better Your Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Repeating the same day over and over again is hard; especially doing it for the past 11 months. My lockdown lazy day routine, which includes scrolling through Tikok, staying in my pajamas and bed all day and ordering Uber eats. Isn’t the best for my mental health because it leaves me feeling exhausted, depressed and unmotivated. I spent the past couple of months creating a list of small things you can do each day that will overall improve your mental health, lift your spirits and have you feeling better than ever!

1. Get up and make your bed!! This seems so simple, and it is, but accomplishing your first task of the day will keep you moving forward.

2. Open your windows, play music, light candles and STRETCH! I’ve tried to meditate but it’s not for everyone. While creating a peaceful and calming environment, I stretch on my floor next to my bed to get my body ready for the day.

3. Cold roll your face. This wakes you up and depuffs your face after a night of precious beauty sleep!

4. Stay off social media! Every single morning that I don’t go on social media before fully starting my day I always feel ten times better. You don’t need to know what everyone else is doing and posting. If it’s truly important you will get a text about it.

5. Make coffee and read the news. I’m not talking about your father sitting in his favorite armchair with the newspaper at the crack of dawn; but it’s good to be aware of what’s going on in the world and learn this information from unbiased and chaotic sources, not meaning Twitter. I would suggest downloading AP News to find out what’s going on in the world today because it is straightforward, unbiased, and the most reliable news source out there. Sip on your coffee to get your mind moving for the day, I would suggest a black iced coffee with Trader Joe’s almond and coconut creamer. 

6. Work Out! Working out makes me feel ten times better and energized. It doesn’t have to be cardio, as long as you get your body moving! You can go on walks, try yoga, weight training, conditioning, etc. 

7. Cook your meals at home! Besides the fact that cooking is fun, making your food creates independence and responsibility for yourself as silly as that sounds. It’s always better to make your own so you know what you’re putting into your body.

8. Journal. For some reason, writing (not typing) everything you think and feel that day allows you to clear your head, take a second for yourself and live in the present. If you’re looking for more to write about, include your upcoming goals and things you’re grateful for.

9. Listen to music and clean your room. Believe it or not, but I end up cleaning and organizing my room every day. I play some of my favorite songs on my speaker and fold laundry, clean off my desk and vanity, etc. and it leaves me feeling productive.

10. READ. I started reading before bed and not only does it make me fall asleep faster, it takes my mind away from reality and allows my body to calm down. It’s always best to be unplugged for at least an hour before bed!

11. Drink lots of water. Can anyone tell me why when I drink three full bottles of water a day I feel ten times healthier and awake? I also struggle with late-night snacking and half the time when I drink water instead it fills me up.

Follow these tips and see how you feel!

Student at Montclair State University majoring in Journalism.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.