Style > Beauty

I Tried 3 DIY Hair Masks So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

After receiving so many sample-sized hair masks at events (and literally squeezing every packet to death), I decided to scour the web for the best DIY hair masks. I know many girls who are reluctant about trying hair masks since everyone’s hair is different. But don’t freak out; there are soooo many different combinations of masks out there! Being in a weather confused season is the perfect time to experiment with your hair products, especially in the shower. What is going to help you save money and give you luscious hair? Here are three DIY hair masks I experimented with so you don’t have to!

All of these masks are applied before getting into the shower. After completely rinsing each mask out, just follow up with your regular shampoo and conditioner!

Put Those Styling Tools Down!

Now that the weather is getting a bit chillier, walking out of the house with a damp head just isn’t an option. We’re starting to give ourselves a bit more time for our hair routine in order to beat that cold breeze and wet hair combo. Whether it’s curling, straightening or blow-drying, give your beautiful strands a break and try out the banana and oil hair mask! This mask is great for gals with dry, damaged hair. Take a night off to let your hair naturally dry for once! Here’s what you need for this mask:

• Bowl
  • 1 Ripe banana
  • 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
  • Blender
  • Shower cap

My Review

After my shower, I let my hair air dry and rejuvenate to its natural state. My hair felt and looked soft, but it did end up looking a little thicker than usual. If your natural hair is thin and more on the drier side, definitely try this one out.

This Gave me THE Cleanest Scalp EVER

Admit it; it’s easier to just throw something on your head and call it a day. Stop letting that second-day hair sit in a wrapped up in a beanie/hat for hours on end! Your scalp is collecting so much oil and dirt all the time; it’s important to give a scalp with build up the break it deserves. If you get an excessive build-up on your scalp and want to scrape out every product that has been sitting on your head, you need to try out the avocado honey oil mask. I also have that ridiculous habit of drowning my hair in dry shampoo (don’t try this at home, seriously) after second-day hair. Here’s what you need:

• Bowl
  • 1 Ripe avocado
  • 1 Tablespoon of honey
  • 1 Tablespoon of oil
  • Shower cap

Sit in this mask for 45 minutes and it will do you absolute wonders!

My Review

I really enjoyed applying and rinsing this mask. Because it was a little more on the chunkier side, it really penetrated into my whole scalp and did the job. This was my absolute favorite of the three!

If You Need to Distress… Drop Everything and Try This

This one is for all my oily-haired girls out there! Green tea and lemon are known to have enriching ingredients that strip all the bad oils from skin and hair. Not only does it even out your hair oils, but the caffeine in the tea also stimulates hair growth! Here are the following things you need:

• Bowl
  • A green tea baggie
  • 1 cup of water
  • 10 drops of a squeezed lemon or lime

My Review

This mask left me SO calm and relaxed! Prior to applying this mask, I was so stressed about registering for classes, upcoming presentations, job events and more. After sitting in this mask for 45 minutes, I blasted some Frank Ocean and rinsed it out. Best. Shower. Ever. Who is stress? Literally never heard of her.

Bye.

From the best to worst masks: avocado, green tea, then banana. 

Happy masking!

Giselle Huasipoma is a Communication & Media Arts student with a strong passion for writing, fashion and digital media. Whether she's posting on her own personal blog or editing articles for Her Campus Montclair, Giselle's is set on her ultimate career goal; working at an agency pitching all of her creative ideas!
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.