stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

I Decided to Treat Myself, Here’s How It Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Despite my hectic schedule of work, classes, interviews, and organization meetings, I decided to take the day off and do something I’ve never done… go to the spa. We get so wrapped up in the weekly turmoil that taking the time to sit and enjoy our own peace is dismissed. So instead of stressing myself out more for the day, I had a little me time and went to the trending Sojo Spa Club. See how my day of relaxation went and maybe even schedule a day off for yourself.

I’ve never considered a day at the spa would be necessary for me. I could always put on a mask myself, get some ocean sounds on YouTube going, walk around in a robe, and soak in a bath. I would have my own personal spa almost for free, so why spend the money on a spa? Well, even though I can drop everything and set a couple of hours for self-care, it would only be a couple of hours. I figured my life was too busy for an entire day of relaxation, but that was an excuse. My roommate wanted to spend her birthday at a new trending spa, Sojo Spa. Since she’s my roommate and best friend, there was no way I would miss her birthday because I was “too busy.”

So I crammed all of my work that needed to be done into the entire week and Saturday before we left for our day of relaxation and celebration on Sunday. I had to set a due date/time for every assignment; even if they already had one specifically set by my instructors for Sunday. I didn’t want to think about any responsibilities the day of my day off. The goal was to get everything done before I left so my mind would be clear. After a manic week of several interviews, meetings, work, classes, and lack of sleep; my mind needed to be as clear as glass.

After completing all my assignments, I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders immediately and I didn’t even feel like the spa was needed after that… but that doesn’t mean I’m not going through it. My roommate, one of our guy friends, and I headed out for the spa Sunday morning excited to see what the hype was all about. From Instagram videos to the Sojo spa’s amazing advertisement photography, everyone made it look like this was Heaven on Earth. As soon as we pulled up, there were valet drivers waiting to open our doors. All I could think was, “Oh we getting pampered pampered?”

The Spa itself had a bunch of rules and regulations so that everyone would have a relaxing and enjoyable time, which I very much appreciated. The moment we entered the locker rooms I immediately felt like I was in a different world. From the complimentary robes, towels, toiletries, technological lockers — to the entire section of multiple baths and showers. Now I know what you’re thinking, that’s normal for a spa. Well, I wasn’t expecting all of this from a locker room so it’s not normal to me. The Sojo Spa has multiple floors with different things to experience on all floors. My friends and I decided to work our way up to get the full effect of what Sojo had to offer.

The fourth floor, in my opinion, had the most options for us to experience. Entering the heated hydrotherapy pools, multiple saunas, and even an ice room; my body immediately felt at ease. My mind, however, was still in shock and didn’t want to return to reality. I’ve never been in a sauna let alone a hydrotherapy pool but let me tell you, I had no interest in leaving. After a couple of hours exploring the first three floors, we finally got to the food court. Even that was kind of high tech, since you paid for your food with the same wristband that opens your locker with just a tap to the screen. It all gets charged to your wristband and you pay once you’re ready to check out of the spa. I found that extremely convenient because I wouldn’t have liked to walk all the way back down to the lockers just to get my wallet. Sojo thought of everything and I was in awe.

After enjoying an AMAZING meal we ended off our experience in the infamous infinity pool. All the hype seemed to always wrap around this heated infinity pool that has an amazing view of a river in Edgewater and New York. It’s beautiful during the day and even better at night. I can definitely say that the Sojo Spa earned its ranking and I can see why it’s trending. For a decently priced general admission that offers so much, I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t want to go. If it wasn’t for my roommate/best friend planning this day of relaxation, I don’t know if I’d ever actually set aside a day to go to a spa. I surely will be now!

Take it from someone who underestimated how necessary a day off to actually treat yourself can be. Getting too wrapped up in the manic called life, we forget to practice self-care. Don’t create excuses and take the time to experience the better parts of life. It isn’t always about working yourself tired, you deserve a break too.

Lynese Salmon is a Senior majoring in Communications and Media Arts. Hoping to pursue a career in social media strategics and/or to land an editorial/writing position for an online publication. Her list of hobbies are endless since she takes interest in so many things. Lynese adores the arts, whether it's visual, performing, digital, etc. She is an outgoing individual with a willingness to learn. Lynese believes the possibilities are endless for everyone so why should you limit yourself. Loves to meet new people and learn more about different identities. Lynese is an open book so she's pretty approachable. All in all, Lynese is a creative personality that likes to think outside the box.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.