How to make the ” Sleepy Girl Mocktail ” , The Melatonin Packed Drink Taking Over The Internet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

After winter break, my sleep schedule was MESSED UP. Staying up until 3 AM and sleeping in until noon screwed up my body’s rhythm. I’m not thrilled about taking melatonin supplements because they can sometimes mess up our body’s natural production of melatonin. I wanted something natural to help me fall asleep. Then, the trend gods decided to bless me: showing me the beauty of “ The Sleepy Girl Mocktail. “ Not only does this drink help slow down those racing thoughts, but it helps you fall asleep and stay asleep! ( Not to mention how fancy you feel drinking it )

Tart Cherry Juice

The main ingredient for the Sleepy Girl Mocktail (SGM) is tart cherry juice! Tart cherry juice is a great way to help you fall asleep due to Tryptophan, which has your body produce melatonin (the sleep hormone) naturally. Melatonin regulates your body’s circadian rhythm ( Sleep-Wake Cycle ). When you introduce melatonin to your body around the same time every day, your body will adjust to the new cycle you are implementing. This will help make your sleep routine more regulated. Tart cherry juice has so many more benefits as well! packed with antioxidants, which can help improve overall health. The juice also provides muscle support and helps you recover after workouts. Some studies have also shown that this drink can reduce blood pressure, improve brain health, and might even aid in preventing cancer.

Poppi

Cherry juice isn’t as bitter as some other juices, but it’s still not fun to drink by itself. However, people have been experimenting with different mixers to dilute the juice. Poppi is a newer soda that has hit the market and it makes for the perfect mixer for the SGM! Poppi is a low-calorie, low-sugar soda packed with prebiotics to help support a healthy gut! Not only is Poppi a great alternative to soda/mixers, but it also comes in a variety of delicious flavors! When it comes to making the SGM, the most popular flavor that is used is their Cherry-Limeade flavor, and I can confirm that it’s delicious! However, you can use any flavor or mixer you want. ( Just make sure it is low sugar, you don’t want the opposite effect! ) Be creative with it! You can find Poppi online on Amazon and their website. You can also find it in person at Walmart and Target!

Magnesium Supplements

Many studies have shown that magnesium supplements seem to have some sleep-aid qualities. While experts haven’t been able to pinpoint exactly why magnesium helps with sleep, they believe it is because of how magnesium interacts with chemicals in the brain. One of those chemicals is melatonin, which we’ve already established is a crucial element of the SGM. When making the SGM you can use magnesium powder or take a pill before drinking the mocktail. Whatever suits your preference! Just make sure that when you are taking magnesium supplements and thatyou’re taking the right amount for you!. Do not go overboard! Taking too much can have negative effects on your body. Personally, I play it safe by taking half a dose to make sure I am using it responsibly.

The Sleepy Girl Mocktail  has become a habit in my day-to-day life. Not only have I been using it as a sleep aid, but I have also been using it as a post-workout drink due to the recovery benefits of tart cherry juice. If you want to do the same thing just go lighter on the cherry juice and drop the magnesium! Sweet dreams!

Ava Reed

Montclair '27

Ava Reed ( Hamilton, NJ ) is currently a freshman at Montclair State University and a writer for Her Campus. She is pursuing a business administration degree and hopes to work in HR or marketing after she graduates. Her hobbies include reading, gaming, drinking coffee, and spending time with her dog, Max. Her music taste mainly consists of pop-punk/emo icons such as Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance. However, any kind of rock flies with her. She is super excited to join Her Campus Montclair this semester as a contributing writer and to put her work out for others to see!