Wellness

How To Let Go Of Something That No Longer Serves You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Letting go of people that no longer serve you can be hard, especially if you’re emotionally invested. By holding on to things though, you’re only hurting yourself and not protecting your peace.

We all know the societal standard that love is the epitome of a happy life. Because of that belief, we tend to stay in relationships that bring us down so we can fit the expectations society adds to us. Even if it means we let ourselves go, it’s all in the name of love.

But what if love is only damaging our relationship with ourselves? What if by yearning for a type of love, we’re losing pieces of ourselves little by little?

When it comes to people and situations, it’s a lot harder because you have an emotional attachment. It’s hard to let go of something you’re so used to and so accustomed to having. Letting go can leave you feeling empty or incomplete at first, but later on, you’ll learn to appreciate everything you are and have at the moment.

Why is it important to let go? Well, why would you keep shoes that you no longer wear? If you don’t need something, you tend to just let it go. Of course, people aren’t shoes, and bonds can’t just be given away. But just like giving away your shoes gives you more room for new ones, letting go of people gives you mental clarity and “space” for new opportunities to come into your life.

When do you know it’s time to let go? When the person or the situation doesn’t make you feel the fulfillment you felt before. It can be things that take away your energy, drain you mentally/emotionally, give you nothing in return, make you doubt yourself and who you are, and most importantly, not serve any purpose in your life.

How do you let go? Go at your own pace. Let pieces go until it feels okay to let everything go. Another thing is to not be afraid to set boundaries. The more boundaries that are set, the more you’re able to limit communication and baseless intentions from both ends. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you’re doing everything for the right intentions. If it’s done for the wrong reasons, you might regret it later on.

I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and if something is meant for you, it will always come back to you. The best part about life is there is no rush, and you’re allowed to go at your own pace as opposed to following everyone else’s. It’s a realization that can set you free.

Allexea Desuyo

Montclair '23

Allexea is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Social Media and Public Relations at Montclair State University. Some of her passions include traveling, taking day trips to NYC, beauty/skincare, and luxury fashion. She hopes to work within the luxury fashion industry, start her own blog and/or as a writer for a fashion magazine. With her articles, she strives to use her knowledge and personal experiences to help others be the best version of themselves.