How to Remain Positive in a Time of Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s easy to play into the hysteria that’s going on and of course, the times we are going through should not be taken lightly either. At the same time, we need light in our lives and find some goodness in it so that we may truly get through all this. Here are some tips to help you do just that.

Talk about what’s going on

I know this may seem a bit contradictory–why talk about the subject that’s making you upset? Getting all those feelings and anxieties out in the open will leave room for healing, inspiration and optimism. By starting a conversation with others, you’ll also find that you’re not the only one who has these thoughts and together you can all make the best of it. 

Find ways to have fun

Just because the outside world seems scary, doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to crack jokes, sing your favorite songs, or keep in touch with the people you love. Depriving yourself of the little things will only bring you down more. Though social distancing is the norm right now, you can still karaoke with your friends via Zoom or have a movie night using Netflix Party.

Limit your news consumption

Though it is important to stay informed, it’s not necessary to read every new headline just as it’s posted. Learning about every new case or the increase in death tolls can cause so much fear and unsettlement. Limit yourself to checking the news in the morning and in the evening. 

Create

If you still feel anxious about things, instead of keeping it inside, try to channel that energy into a creative hobby like drawing, music, writing, knitting, whatever you can think of. Use your favorite activity as a means to work through the stress while having a piece of art be the end result. 

Ana Hilario

Montclair '21

Ana graduated from Montclair State University with a degree in English. She loves reading, traveling, coffee, llamas, and the Oxford comma. Follow her on Instagram @ana_hilarious_ for good vibes and funky outfits.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.