How Joining a Sorority Shaped My College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If you asked me a few years ago if I ever planned on joining a sorority, the answer would have been a quick “no.” Not because I had anything against Greek Life, but mainly because I never really gave it much thought. The only thing I thought I knew about sororities were the stereotypical ideas that movies and TV shows make them out to be—which now I realize, couldn’t be further from the truth.           

Fast forward to my freshman year of college, everything I thought I knew completely changed. That first semester of living hours away from home and not knowing anyone was tough; especially since it seemed like everyone else came to college with friends. I spent the majority of my time by myself and  rarely left my room. In high school I was always so involved, so suddenly having all this free time was new to me and became a major adjustment. By winter break I was ready to transfer — I even started filling out some applications. However, I knew sorority recruitment was right around the corner and for the first time ever, I really started to consider it.     

Recruitment weekend happened and I was surprised with how well it went. I remember getting my bid, and for the first time in a while I was excited about something at school again. Luckily, my second semester was nothing like the first, I had new structure to my schedule, found myself leaving my dorm all the time, and meeting so many new people. I loved being a part of not only a group, but a sisterhood.   

Looking back, I can’t picture what my college experience would look like without Greek Life. I’ve gained so many experiences, met people I never would have otherwise, and learned about and contributed to worthy causes. The opportunities to gain more responsibility and leadership opportunities are endless. It’s safe to say that joining a sorority is what kept me from transferring and transformed my college experience. I’ll always be grateful and super proud of myself that I decided to take a chance and step outside of my comfort zone.  

Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester. 
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.