How To Get Over Your Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s about that time again, collegiettes; The dreaded breakup season. The romanticism of the holidays and Valentine’s Day have come and gone, but there’s no reason to be down in the dumps over a breakup when spring’s just around the corner! Here are some tips from myself and the HC Montclair team on how to recuperate from a tough breakup and how to live your life to the fullest – on your own. 

Lean on your best friends. The best medicine to cure any break up woe is spending time with your best girlfriends. Guys will come and go, but your friends will always be by your side. Pop in a feel good movie (such as Pitch Perfect, sisters before misters!) and just kick back with your girls; Laughter is the best medicine! 

Focus on your happiness. When you’re with someone, it’s always about “us” and the betterment of the relationship, but now that you’re single you can devote all of your time and attention to the most important person, you! This is a perfect time to grow and put all your effort into personal goals. Maybe you’ve wanted to go to the gym more or were interested in taking up a new hobby. There’s no better time than now to turn over a new leaf.

Do a personal “spring cleaning.” Are there still a bunch of pictures of you and your ex on Facebook? Or maybe you still have a box full of their belongings? When you feel like you’re ready to move on from them, there’s nothing better than getting completely rid of that part of your life. Deleting all the texts, the selfies you saved, and giving away that one stuffed animal they won you at the fair will help you move on and turn a page in your book of life.

Treat yo’ self. Dealing with a break up can definitely be equated to going through an emotional war. You’re probably drained and not interested in looking your best. Taking a day or two to yourself to just relax and pamper yourself can do a world of wonders for your self-esteem. Go get manicures and pedicures with your friends, pull out one of your favorite bath bombs , light some candles, maybe indulge in some of that half-baked ice cream you’ve had in your freezer; you deserve it!

Break ups are never easy, but they also don’t have to be hard. Whether you’re dealing with your own, or watching a friend go through one, these tips can be used to lift anyone out of the single lady slump and get them back on their feet!

Photo Credit: 1

Bri Capik

Montclair

Hi, my name's Bri, I'm currently a Junior Communications Studies major and English minor at Montclair State University. I love dance, reading, crocheting, coffee, anything Disney, and of course, writing for Her Campus!