Style

Conjuring Witchy Blasts from the Past: October Style Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s finally October and we’re in the height of the witching hour. Sometimes the best fashion tips can come from the sets of classic TV shows and movies. Throwbacks like oversized sweaters, mini skirts and chunky heels are more relevant than ever. If you’re looking for some supernatural style, don’t sleep on these retro titles.

Charmed (1998-2006)

Exhibit A. Space buns? Hair glitter? Scrunchies? The charmed ones were ahead of their time.

Here Phoebe Halliwell (left) wears a dark burgundy knee-length sweater with fur trim details on the collar and sleeves. Out of frame, she’s cuffed her dark wash denim jeans to show off her chunky Chelsea boots. This look is effortlessly witchy while still being super low maintenance.

Need more inspiration to up your sweater game? Look no further. Try one of Phoebe’s many variations: crochet, off the shoulder, turtle neck or color block.

She’s also not afraid to play with color or eclectic accessories. On the left, she pairs a bright red top with a matching embroidered belt and a rose vine necklace. On the right, she uses red chrysanthemums to pin back her hair.

Sisters who layer together, slay together. Prue Halliwell (middle) pairs a sheer beige sweater with a black lace camisole for the perfect balance of comfort and edge. Phoebe (right) adds interest to her monochromatic ensemble with a patent leather jacket over a matte black top and bottom.

When you’re fighting evil you need to be prepared for all occasions. Prue (middle) is pairing a leather bralette and matching bottoms with a fur-lined, floor-length coat. The mixture of textures is pure magic.

Now that’s one way to freeze demons in their tracks.

Don’t forget, denim is a powerful ingredient in any girl’s closet. Phoebe (left) wears a graphic tee with light wash denim, Piper (middle) wears a chunky cream sweater with black denim and Prue (right) wears a red bodysuit with dark wash jeans. The possibilities are infinite – to the power of three.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996-2003)

Sabrina Spellman may seem like your average high school student but there’s something enchanting about her style. Here she wears a mustard yellow turtle-neck with a black pinafore. Sabrina’s favorite accessory? Teenage angst.

She clearly has a thing for mini skirts and long sleeve tops and I respect it. Black and crimson red are definitely her power colors.

Sabrina makes it look so easy.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003)

Buffy Summers may not *technically* be a witch, but she knows how to slay outerwear.

Knee-high boots are a staple for fall and instantly elevate a simple outfit. I don’t know if I can recommend a vampire stake as an accessory though.

Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty in the paranormal business. Pinafores and overalls are functional enough for the modern witch but cute enough for every day.

Practical Magic (1998)

Sally Owens (left) is down to earth in light wash denim and a white lace top. Gillian Owens (right) turns up the heat in an emerald green velvet slip dress which is utterly bewitching.

The Owens sisters love a good maxi skirt. By pairing a flowy floral pattern with black cropped tops, they achieve ethe-realness.

When in doubt, add a black cat.

Teen Witch (1989)

Louise Miller (right) channels cool-girl minimalism with a grey pleated skirt and black turtle-neck. The statement necklace amps up the charm in more ways than one.

This grey trench coat and plaid skirt combo are giving me prep school envy. Witches have responsibilities too.

Something about this embroidered denim jacket and crimson lace ruffle skirt tells me that I don’t want to be on Louise’s bad side right now.

Hocus Pocus (1993)

Allison may be mortal, but this look is enough to raise the dead.

Here Allison wears a bright red peacoat with a purple plaid skirt and ankle boots. She’s the coolest.

No matter how you decide to dress up, be your authentic self. That’s what being a witch is really all about.

Alexa Spear

Montclair '20

Alexa Spear graduated from Montclair State University with a BA in Communication and Media Arts and minors in English and Photography. On the rare occasion when she's not writing, you can find her watching Netflix or lost in the aisles of TJMaxx. Looking for a writer/editor? Shoot her an email at alexarspear@gmail.com
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.