This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It might be time to do some spring cleaning in the skincare department. We’ve all been guilty of owning products with sneaky chemicals and ingredients that are a big no-no. I would gravitate towards the words “natural” and “unscented” automatically deeming the product clean and safe to use on the most sensitive part of my body, my skin. In reality, those words still won’t save you from sneaky ingredients that are now being linked to harmful effects on your body, inside and out. 

Not always listed on the bottle but are sure to be lurking in our products are the most popular ingredients: Parabens (Methyl, Butyl, Ethyl, Propyl), Aluminum, PEG (Polyethylene glycol), DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (Monoethanolamine), TEA (triethanolamine) and synthetic fragrances. The list is infinite on these harmful ingredients and we can’t always avoid them all but we can be more mindful on how to limit our use. 

After doing some research and digging, not much of my own products were the cleanest of the clean. Fortunately, I thank the beauty bloggers for exposing these harmful brands all over social media platforms and now know what to look for. My journey to creating a clean beauty routine is in the beginning stages and here are my top picks:

1. Pacifica, Sea Foam Complete Face Wash

As a girl with combination skin, this product is the complete package for all skin types. The power of this cleanser is proven by its ability to remove makeup and dirt while cleansing and toning. After just one use, my skin feels brighter and clean without redness. This Pacifica face wash is sulfate-free, 100% vegan and cruelty-free. 

2. First Aid Beauty, Ultra Repair Cream 

This line of skincare is one of my favorites because of the light-weight but effectiveness of their products. On days where I’m feeling a little oily, this moisturizer helps balance and control my skin. The texture of my skin has significantly improved as I feel more smooth and hydrated without the oiliness. 

Made for all skin types, this item contains no parabens, harsh chemicals or colorants. 

3. The Ordinary, Hyaluronic Acid Serum

I discovered this skincare line like most of the world through TikTok with all of its products sworn upon. It was only a matter of time before I hopped on the bandwagon. After using this product, I’m never stopping! This formula brightens my skin diminishing any redness we tend to get around our nose and cheeks during the colder seasons. Using this product for several weeks will give you a glow of radiance without having any harsh chemicals interfering with your skin. If you aren’t familiar with using serums, make sure you are patting- not swiping like you would with moisturizer. This allows the product to have the most absorption into your skin.

4. Golde, Papaya Bright Superfood Face Mask

The name of this product sounds like it has flavors of all substances inside it. Gladly, you can get the benefits of nutrients without extra junk. This product is a little pricier than others on this list but will last longer. A face mask is typically used 1-2 times a week, depending on what your skin e needs. Acting as a gentle exfoliator, this face mask will recharge your skin after a drying winter. Exfoliants like this one help for more texture-free skin and remove dead skin that may be shielding a layer of beautiful healthy skin. 

5. Ole Henriksen, Banana Bright Eye Créme

This product is a new favorite of mine. This eye cream has an orange tint to it that balances some dark circles of blue and purplish pigment we may have. To me, this product is a 2-in-1 leaving my under eyes hydrated and brightened. I use this product every morning and it also makes for a great under-eye primer. I picked this product in search of something that will brighten my under eyes on days where I don’t want to put on concealer and be more natural. 

Enisa Borova is a senior majoring in Communications and Media Arts at Montclair State University. She is passionate about writing, styling, and creating content for social media. In her free time, you can catch Enisa exercising, shopping and sipping on her favorite Starbucks drink. She is hoping to start a career in Public Relations and/or Marketing for a noble agency focused on beauty, fashion, and lifestyle.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.