Bored at Home? 9 Things to Do During Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We all know what it’s like for college students mid-December. Everyone is stressed to the max because of finals and can’t wait to go home for a much-needed break. But then once we’re home for the next month, we run out of things to do and get bored easily. That’s why we made a list to help you out. Here are nine things to do over winter break when you’ve run out of ideas.

1. Do something basic for the holidays.

Would it even be winter break if you didn’t go see the Rockefeller Christmas Tree at least once? Who cares how many attempts it takes you to get a decent picture in front of the tree. If you aren’t near NYC, check out your town’s Christmas tree or go ice skating at an outdoor ice skating rink. Even if you suck at it, you’ll still have a good time laughing about how many times you fall.

2. Reunite with old friends.

When everyone’s back in your hometown for winter break, you start running into people you haven’t seen since high school. Try to make plans with your long-lost friends, even if it’s just grabbing coffee one morning or a drink at happy hour. 

3. Apply to summer internships.

If you want an internship this summer, then you NEED to start applying over winter break. No one ever has enough time during the semester to do this since it’s so time consuming. Fill out applications for anywhere you might want to work and find companies to reach out to in the near future. 

4. Read a book.

Finding time to leisurely read during the semester is hard when you have to worry about classes and doing homework. That’s why winter break is the perfect time to get through all of the books that piled onto your reading list throughout the semester! 

5. Get cultured.

There are so many ways to become a more cultured person – you just have to get out there and try new things! Here are a few suggestions:

• Visit a museum or art gallery. 
  • Travel whenever you can (even if it’s just to the next state!). 
  • Watch classic films. 
  • Try foods from other countries. 

6. Start a new fitness routine.

Exercising can really help beat the winter blues. Whether you prefer hitting the pavement, working out at the gym or attending fitness classes, starting some sort of fitness routine will keep you occupied and in shape over break.  

7. Volunteer for a good cause.

By helping someone else out, you will be a better person in so many ways. Plus, it makes you feel pretty good inside. Whether you volunteer at a soup kitchen or an animal shelter, collect toys for children or even just donate to someone in need, you could make a difference in someone’s life over winter break. 

8. Pay attention to what’s going on in the world.

Take a few minutes every morning to read, watch or listen to the news. There’s a lot of craziness going on in the world that you wouldn’t know about otherwise. Plus, if you up your news consumption, you’ll always have something to talk about during awkward pauses in conversations. 

9. Play in the snow!

This is always one of the first things that comes to people’s minds when it snows. But how often do we still actually go outside and build a snowman? Or go sledding? Or have a snowball fight? You get the point.

What are your plans for winter break? Let us know in the comments and on social media, @hercampusmontclair! 

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Amina is currently a senior at Montclair State University studying communication and journalism. She has a passion for writing, digital media and creating content. When she's not writing, you can probably find her catching up on current events, trying new fitness classes or searching for the next best restaurant. You can view more of her work at aminalake.com.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.