bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Baby It’s Cold Outside: 6 Ways to Beat That Dreaded Mid-Semester Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

‘Tis the season for giving thanks, gifts, and joy. One thing you don’t want to be giving or receiving is the dreaded cold and flu. Winter will soon arrive and while it may be nice to have a day off to yourself to binge on Netflix or stay in bed all day, having your body feel like it’s been hit by a truck is no fun. As college students, it’s important to stay not only fabulous, but healthy as well. Let’s face it, while trying to balance finals, work and an active social life, your health may be taking the back seat in your exciting life. Beat the flu before it gets to you with these tips!

Wash Those Germs Away

It is extremely vital to wash your hands every chance you get.  Even if you think you’re washing your hands enough, you’re probably not. You should wash your hands for approximately a minimum of 20 seconds (with soap) and cold water. It will be your best self-defense to help you keep bacteria and germs at bay. Don’t forget under your nails as well! There is enough bacteria under your nails to make you sick, in more than one way. 

Drink Up

It’s important to stay hydrated as much as you can. Water should be your BFF all the time. By drinking the minimum amount of water you’ll be chasing those bad toxins out of your body before they can do more harm. Try to squeeze in at least 3 quarts (6 bottles; reffilables are lifesavers) a day.

Bundle Up

On those days where you miss the shuttle and have to walk to class, make sure you’re comfy and warm. Wear extra layers, ear muffs, and a suitable jacket to keep you from the bone chilling cold of the Northeast. Also, don’t forget to wear a scarf to protect you neck and respiratory system. Aim for insulated boots, gloves, and jackets for extra protection. Your body will thank you later.

Leave Your Face Alone

STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE. You’re already beautiful. The more you touch your face, the more bacteria you’re exposing to your eyes, nose, and mouth. It may be a habit for some, but while sitting in class, DO NOT prop your head up with your hand. By supporting your head with your hand, you’re giving bacteria free access to your pores and opening the door for acne and the common cold.

Nourish Your Body

Your immune system is one of the most important parts of your body that you cannot ignore. Treat your immune system to a variety of vitamins, vegetables, and fruits. Broth based soups such as chicken noodle or vegetable soups are perfect for staying warm. Add a dash of pepper (such as chili or cayenne) to clear up those sinuses in no time. Hot teas with lemon and honey will not only aid in building a stronger immune system, but will also keep you hydrated.  ou’ll want to stay away from dairy products and (as painful as it may be) coffee and junk foods.

Embrace Your Inner Sleeping Beauty

Getting enough sleep is crucial to overcome a cold or the flu. Your body needs rest after dealing with your hectic lifestyle. When your body is in overdrive, not only do you suffer physically, but so does your immune system (being stressed weakens your immune system, making you more susceptible to colds.) For the best sleep, turn off your phone (Instagram will still be there in the morning) and stop watching TV an hour before bed. Melatonin, a hormone that helps you get a good night’s sleep, can be disrupted when you encounter bright lights such as a phone screen. If you don’t get the proper rest, you will not only keep your cold, you’ll wake up feeling groggy and robbed of the necessary sleep your body needs to function properly. A full 8 hours of sleep will keep you healthy and a proper sleep routine helps fight infections!

If you’re not contagious, make it your best effort to show up to class but listen to your body. If you feel that you can’t make it through a lecture, it’s okay to leave but only if it’s serious. Always keep a pocket pack of tissues for those sniffles and carry a warm cup of tea with you to sip on. Being sick also allows for some down time so don’t forget to catch up on school work. If you can’t make it to class, always remember to notify your professor and get notes from a friend.

Make sure you receive your flu shots! If you can’t get to your primary doctor or health pharmacy, you can always count on Montclair to be there for you! Click this link for more information on getting vaccinated.

Deckonti

Montclair

I am the sixth Spice Girl that history fails to mention. When I'm not exploring the city or knocking back green smoothies, I'm working on my web series and binge watching Saved by the Bell, Boy Meets World, the Golden Girls, and Will and Grace.