This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s that time of year again: back to school season. While everyone is hustling and bustling around Target and Walmart for school supplies, I’m sitting at my desk wondering, where did the time go? It felt like just yesterday that I entered Montclair State University for freshmen orientation, trying to figure out where in the world Richardson Hall was — and now, I’m already going to be Senior.

It’s nerve-wracking and scary all at the same time, but in a really good way, if that even makes sense. Although I haven’t experienced every single part of the college experience, there are a few things that I want to tell everyone about entering into their college careers.

1. It’s okay to be a little scared.

Honestly, this seems like such a cliché piece of advice, but it’s the truth. I remember walking into my dorm freshman year thinking, “This will be no sweat. I got this.” But honestly, I was scared out of my mind. Being scared isn’t the key here though. Are you going to let that stop you from enjoying your college experience? Just take a deep breath and do the best that you can. And if it really is giving you a hard time, talk to someone. Chances are, they probably are just as afraid as you, but aren’t showing it.

2. You don’t have to attend every party that’s going on.

You don’t have to attend every party that someone is throwing. If partying isn’t your thing, then don’t go. Parties aren’t all that so you won’t be missing out on a lot. Parties were never my thing, so I always chose to hang out with my friends or do something that I liked doing. If you want to go with your friends to parties, then by all means go and have a great time, but don’t feel obligated to.

3. Stay on top of your coursework.

This isn’t high school. Professors aren’t going to remind you that you have that essay due next week or you have an exam coming up. It’s all on you now. It’s really important to remember, “With more freedom comes more responsibilities.” It’s annoying at times but check your syllabi to see what you have due for your classes that week and when your exams are. It’ll honestly feel a lot better than being the only person in the class who doesn’t turn in a paper.

Overall though, enjoy your college experience. Take chances, talk to people, do things you would’ve never thought about doing before. Make it the best four years of your life; I know you can.                                                 

Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.