This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Many of us think that winter is a magical season. But, is it really? With snow falling gently from the sky, crisp pine smell hanging in the air, all we want to do is stay under our seasonal decorated blankets, watch a holiday movie and of course, chew on something. Due to low temperatures, it is common for us to crave more food, especially carbohydrates such as chocolates, pastas, fondues and, ignore the nutritional facts of the foods we are consuming. Our daily activities start to revolve more and more around foods and drinks and less in physical activities. We feel lazier as the days shorten and the nights turn colder and, the last thing we want to do is exercise. Winter should not be synonymous with weight gain. Our goal should be to finish the season with a strong and healthy body. In order to not fall into the “trap” of the season, it is important for you to pay attention to your food choices. It is recommended to consume vitamins, minerals on a regular basis to help boost the immune system and prevent colds, flu, and infections common in the winter. Here are some tips for those who do not want to fight with the scale, illnesses, and want to enjoy the season with better health:

1. Get plenty of Rest. Sleep is crucial for the human body. It is important to rest well in order to recover, refresh and recharge your body. It helps your immune system to strengthen and fight off infections and keep you healthy. When you are sleep deprived or stressed, your body defenses are low and your body is more vulnerable to illness.
  2. Eat Fruits and Vegetables. With the cold weather, it is tempting to fill up on unhealthy comfort food. If you find yourself craving a sugary treat, try eating a fruit such as orange, apple, pear or sweet dried fruits such as apricots, dates or raisins which are rich in vitamins. Celebrate the beauty of dark green vegetables such as spinach, collard greens, kale, broccoli, which are rich in iron and vitamins A, C, K. These vegetables are important to the health of your bones, skin and immune system. Therefore, welcome them into your kitchen!
  3. Stay Physically Active. Although exercise might be the last thing you want to do, it is exactly what you must do. Physical activities help your mind and body release toxins which can boost your mood. It gives you energy, helps with stress and can turn your day upside down. A nice way to stay in shape is to layer up and head outdoors for a brisk walk or a light jog. But, if you don’t want to leave the house, there are plenty of ways to keep fit indoors. With a range of fitness DVDs, interactive games, dance, you can work up a sweat from the comfort of your own house. Yoga is also a great  option. Meditation can alleviate stress, leave you with calm energy and, gives you positive thinking.
  4. Get Check-ups and Vaccinations. Before winter time arrives, make sure you get exams and screenings which can help find any potential problem before it starts to develop. If any problem is diagnosed, chances of treatments are better. Make sure you are up-to-date with your vaccines. They can help prevent diseases and save lives. Schedule an appointment with your physician and ask which vaccinations and exams you should get according with your age, lifestyle, vacation plans, and family health history.
  5. Wash your hands. Germs are everywhere. They can be spread through contact with others and the environment. It is important to wash your hands with soap and water, or use hand sanitizers, as often as you can to protect yourself from these microscopic invisible creatures. You should also wash your hands before preparing meals, when you arrive home from school or work and any time in between!

Take a moment to brainstorm all the things you can do in the winter that you enjoy, that feel indulgent, and most importantly, that make you happy!

Photo Source:

1