5 Thoughts We All Have Waiting in Line at Chili’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If you’ve ever stepped foot onto the Montclair State University campus, you know that a major selling point of the University is the fact that there is a Chili’s inside a dorm building. And if you’ve ever started a diet on a Monday and given up within 8 hours, then you definitely know what it feels like to shamefully wait alone in line for Chili’s.  

Here are 5 thoughts we all have while waiting in line at:

“You Take Your Time To Order, I’ll Wait”

You’ve been standing in line for at least 10 minutes, (or in Chili’s years – a lifetime) and you are finally the next one up to order. The couple ordering in front of you has finally narrowed down their options to six menus items but can’t decide whether they would describe their love as spicy buffalo or honey crispy.  

“I Need All Of This”

Despite the pact you made with yourself on the way over, you know that you are not getting a salad but rather ordering the menu item with the highest caloric value. Instead of just getting a simple meal, you’ll probably get an extra side of fries, some chips and guacamole and extra ranch. I mean cmon’, you did just spend a whole 8 hours dieting – you earned it!  

“Did They Just Call My Name?”

You’ve just placed your order and can see that there are clearly 20 other people waiting for their food. Instead of logically acknowledging the fact that you will have to wait a while, you wait in anticipation for your name to be called. After some time, you even begin to question what your name actually is. “Kevin! Grilled Chicken Sandwich!” the Chili’s worker shouts. “Am I Kevin? Did I order a grilled chicken sandwich? How long have I been standing here? Who am I?”

“That’s Right, They Just Called My Name”

After a spending the time equivalent of two Chili’s lifetimes waiting for your name to be called, you finally hear your name echo through the building. Like a Queen on her way to the palace, you strut past all of the other peasants. Now that your name has been called, you have achieved a higher level of status within society. You hold your head up high and pretentiously proclaim “Oh yes, it is I.”  

“This Isn’t What I Ordered, But It Won’t Stop Me From Coming Back”

There is no worse feeling on earth than getting back to your dorm, settling in and opening up your hot container of take-out food only to find that it isn’t at all what you ordered. Even though you are angry and disappointed, you find solace in knowing that somewhere out there, someone has also just opened their container of food, equally as disappointed.

And that, is how Chili’s brings everyone together.  

Image Sources: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.