The ’13 Reasons Why’ Trailer Just Dropped and It’s Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

For anyone who read Jay Asher’s heartbreaking and dark 2007 novel 13 Reasons Why, an adaptation has been something both highly anticipated and a long time coming. Well, the wait is finally over: the book has been made into a 13-episode Netflix series and its first teaser trailer just dropped.

From executive producer Selena Gomez (yes, that Selena), the series follows Clay Jensen (played by Dylan Minnette) and the mysterious box he comes to find awaiting him one day after school. Inside, he finds an assortment of tapes, 13 to be exact, from Hannah Baker (played by Katherine Langford), a fellow classmate who also happens to be his crush. There’s just one thing – Hannah committed suicide two weeks earlier.   

As he begins listening to the tapes, Clay discovers each tape tells a different reason as to why Hannah committed suicide, with each of these “reasons”, Clay comes to realize, being a fellow classmate. Confused and intrigued, Clay listens on to find out why he was given these tapes and if he is one the reasons. 

Like many Netflix productions, the adaptation looks incredibly promising. And with Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning Brian Yorkey (Next to Normal) penning the script and co-running the show, hopefully, this adaptation will be just as powerful and gripping as the novel is. 

All 13 episodes of 13 Reasons Why hit Netflix on March 31st.

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.