harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What I Have Learned From My Partner Who Has A Mental Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

I met my boyfriend in the midst of his diagnosis with a mental disorder.

Our first few months getting to know one another were not easy, but as he became more adjusted to his condition, things started to look up for us.

I discovered that many of our misunderstandings emerged from a lack of self-awareness on both sides, which prevented us from fully accepting one another. I had a lot to learn; I discovered that much of who I am now came from the time when I was first becoming comfortable with my partner. This gave me a sense of clarity in understanding how to adapt to the needs of somebody in his position.

Like any relationship, there will be times in which you and your significant other have trouble understanding what is going through each other’s minds, leading to bouts of discouragement on both ends. While the tension is often inevitable, communication is the key to gaining a perspective on the rationale behind each argument. It is crucial to encourage your partner to be as open as they’d like about their emotions surrounding the disorder, ensuring them you will be there every step of the way to listen without judgment or assumption.

Regardless of the amount of time they’ve spent coping with the condition, your significant other may be put under an amount of stress that can cause them to behave in a way that does not represent who they truly are. While not everybody with mental health disorders encounter the same issues, reading articles or watching online videos of people discussing their stories can help better understand what your significant other may be experiencing, which can give you the upper hand in tackling each issue from a similar viewpoint of your partner.

Despite the love you may have for your significant other, you may come across moments in which you are nearing your own breaking points, causing the urge to shut their feelings out completely. Although they mean the world to you, your own wellness should be a priority. If your relationship ever reaches its last resort and you need to take a break, it is not unforgivable to do so. Surrendering to the repercussions felt by your partner’s condition does not make you weak but rather strong for using your best judgment.

Being a support system for my boyfriend when he needed it most has not only taught me how to be a better lover, but a better version of myself. I am more in tune with my emotions while finding empathy for others. I am learning to control my temper in frustrating situations, by not being afraid to step back, take a deep breath and try again. It has given me the opportunity to experience teamwork in every sense of the word.

We take each day as it comes, together. And I could not be prouder of the progress we have made.