Netflix Shows Worthy of Binge-Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

As the temperature continues to lower, my motivation to leave my bed goes down with it. Rather than bundle up in layers of snow pants and scarves, it’s much easier to stay in pajamas, curl up, and turn the TV on. Here are some of the best binge-worthy Netflix original series for your next snow day!

Black Mirror

Out of all of the shows on this list, Black Mirror is definitely the darkest and most serious. The show focuses on the consequences of new technology and how obsessed our society has become with continuous technological advances. Each episode has a different plot and features unique characters, so don’t worry if you want to skip around and find the one the most interests you. My personal favorite is “San Junipero,” and I think many others would agree- after all, it won two Emmy awards!

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

The cheerful and hilarious The Office alum Ellie Kemper stars as the title role, so be prepared for laughter! After spending 15 years locked in a bunker with a doomsday cult, Kimmy has finally been rescued and is living in New York City. Hilarity ensues as Kimmy tries to adapt to her new life, complete with a crazy roommate and shady boss. The first three seasons are currently on Netflix for you to enjoy, and the show was just renewed for a fourth season.

One Day at a Time

If you’re a fan of the original One Day at a Time series from the 1970s, you’re in luck! The Netflix version of the show basically follows the same storyline: a single mother is raising her children with the help of her strict mother and wacky apartment building manager. While the show is a comedy, it also features many serious issues such as struggling with one’s sexuality, a lack of a father figure, and financial issues.

Sara Sikora

Monmouth '19

Sara is a senior at Monmouth University, with a major in communications and a minor in psychology. She is also the social media director for Monmouth's Her Campus chapter! Sara can be found drinking copious amounts of coffee, at the beach or at a yoga class.