etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Growth in a Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

I have always been afraid of change. From new environments to just a different position of a piece of furniture in my house, it has not been easier for me to adapt to change. But now that I am halfway through my college career, I see a lot of change in myself; the good kind, the kind that I am not afraid of.

This time last year I was so set on transferring. I hated being away from home and felt like I had made no friends and made little connections on campus for it to make me feel like I belonged here.

I was shy, very nervous, barely talked to anyone, and mostly stayed in my dorm. But now that I am at the end of another year, I have noticed that this year I am a lot different than last. I am more confident in myself, am not afraid to ask for things that I need, will almost talk to anyone, and have made connections on campus where I am now on the e-board for three different clubs. I also have amazing friends and roommates, something that I did not have last year.

They say time moves quicker the older you get, and I always thought that that was just something adults say but it’s true. Not only have I grown so much in a year, but I actually started enjoying my time of where I am and it has flown by. I have changed so much that hopefully soon it will make me not afraid of change anymore.

I have become the person I wanted to be in high school in college. And as I watch my sister about to graduate from high school and start her college journey, I can only wish for her to have challenges and hardships that will turn into growth and progress.

Sarah Elizabeth

Monmouth '21

Sarah is currently a senior history/political science secondary education major with a minor in sociology. Her biggest dream in life is to be a middle or high school history teacher or to open up her own coffee shop. She loves dogs, strawberries, hiking and green tea.