This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

Do you ever feel like you want to give up on life? Or that you just aren’t good enough?

There are many reasons for us to feel down on our luck or just to feel under the weather. This is normal!

It starts to be a problem when you have these bad feelings for weeks or even months on end. To prevent this, you have to practice positive mental health.

What are some ways to promote positive mental health? Great question!

Here are some tips to keep in mind:

1. Go outside! Studies have shown that people who go outside and enjoy the sun are more likely to be happier, than those who stay indoors.
  2. Hang out with friends who give you good vibes. Friends who stick by you when you’re not at your best are friends who will help you out of a rut. ‘Nuff said.
  3. Go to a local animal shelter and cuddle with animals! Studies have also shown that cuddling releases oxytocin, which basically kills feelings of depression and stress. Plus, how cute are puppies and kittens?!
  4. Go for a run/do some exercise. Same thing as cuddling, except you benefit yourself physically and mentally. It’s a win-win!
  5. Listen to some music, or read a book.  Whichever one you choose, it will help take your mind off of the stressful stuff and help you relax.
  6. Breathe. Believe it or not, taking deep breaths every now and again can help lower your heart rate and make you feel more relaxed.
  7. Talk. This is the most important piece of advice on this list because talking can help you release the bad feelings and can let the good stuff shine through.

It doesn’t matter whether you are stressed out about midterms, meeting your significant other’s parents, or just upset for no reason: mental health is important.

If you let these negative feelings run free, you will feel so much better about yourself and you will be happier in the long run.

Gabby is a sophomore studying Psychology and Spanish at Molloy. She loves playing her the cello, and she loves giving advice and a warm hug to her friends when they need it. She can't wait to see what Molloy has in store over the next few years of her life. DFTBA!!