You Want to be Positive Polly, Not Negative Nelly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

We have all heard of a Negative Nelly, most of us even know one. A Negative Nelly is a person who looks at things with a negative viewpoint. This type of person will see the bad in all things and be a complete downer. If it’s raining outside Nelly could simply look at it as a horrible day that will be uneventful.

I’d like to introduce you to Polly, Positive Polly, that is. I like to think of myself as a Positive Polly. Someone who is cheerful, upbeat and kind hearted. A Positive Polly will see the good in things and have a joyful outlook on life. When it’s storming out Polly will put her rain boots on and pop open a colorful umbrella for the walk to campus.

It can be so easy to fall into a negative outlook and become a Nelly. especially when everyone is complaining. But I want to encourage you to bring a pleasant outlook to life. When your friends are complaining about all the work that has been assigned for the week, or how they lost their basketball game, be a Polly.

There are so many different ways we can look at situations. We can view a situation as miserable, boring, hard or gloomy. But life will be so much more meaningful if we have a cheerful, kindhearted and warm perspective. The world is what we make it, let’s make is a loving and passionate place.